Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,679

1 members and 1,678 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Indiana Man Killed By 14ft Python

Quote Originally Posted by digcolnagos
    OK, I'm gonna get yelled at here, but...

Apologies for length, but I don't think sales of Burms or reticulateds or anacondas or even red-tailed boas should be unrestricted. Unfortunately, there's a whole lot of humans out there with less sense than a snake, ....
    Hi. First off...we try real hard not to yell if someone is merely expressing an opinion. Although if someone is blatantly rude and/or insensitive, then sometimes our feathers may get a tad ruffled. I think you were neither rude nor insensitive...so no yelling from me.

That being said, I did want to point out one thing you mentioned that makes me go "hmmmmm..." Yes indeed, there are a whole lot of humans out there with less sense than a snake. They also drive cars. And own dogs that they allow to become vicious animals. Or own dogs/cats that they allow to roam the streets to create thousands of unwanted puppies/kittes and go feral. Some of them even own guns! And any number of other things that are far more dangerous, destructive, and far more common...than owning a giant snake.

Personally, I don't agree with laws against them...because then where do they stop? 10'? 8'? 6'? How many of us are infatuated with Sheree's 8' rat snakes? Are they deadly? Hardly. I also think that while licensing seems like a good idea on the surface, the amount of beurocratic red-tape it would generate could get to be a nightmare...leaving deserving people unable to obtain one, while idiots still manage to slip through the cracks and get them.

The key, I believe, is education. Never, ever, ever stop trying to teach those you come in contact with. Especially the people who sell the animals. Work with them as best as you can...to help them learn the benefits of educating their customers. Certainly there won't be any instant changes...no easy fixes. And no matter what, there will always be the idiots who buy something dangerous and do something stupid with it.
    -- Judy

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Andrew24 (01-08-2010),cinderbird (01-08-2010),Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-08-2010),tsshields (01-13-2010),Zoodledoodle (11-04-2013)