Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
Amoeba are easy to treat for safely, & some keepers do it routinely with new acquisitions, or for sure with any that aren't quite right (if they have feeding issues, or weird stool, etc).

The drug is called Flagyl- (aka- metronidazole). You might have heard of it before, it's used for fish ("Fish-Zole" is sold in pet stores OTC for aquarium fish) & for farm animals ("Metro-Zole) likewise sold OTC. You have to be able to calculate the right dose for snakes & administer it (by mouth- that's what the abbreviation "PO" means) & it definitely works, & dosed correctly, it's very safe for snakes. Yes, I've used it. It also tends to stimulate a snake's appetite, which really might have helped. Flagyl is also given to humans for some conditions too, btw. It's not even expensive. Of course, a vet could also supply & administer it too.

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/...some%20species.
Oh wow, thank you! Very sad to find something that could have helped him that's so simple, but by golly I will definitely be doing this now, with help from my vet until I'm comfortable doing it myself. Do people usually just give it with their newbies, or is it something they give every now and then even after they're settled in? Also, if I was to bring the little girl for a quick checkup and a dose of that, how much stress do you think that will be putting on her? I was going to wait for a physical until she was over 200 grams and wasn't being picky (though she does eat) but I don't really want to wait now that I've got concerns, especially when they were from the same breeder and in the same rack system.