Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,237

0 members and 1,237 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,216
Threads: 248,623
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Sharon84

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 19,958 Times in 11,927 Posts

Re: Will my python ever recover?

Quote Originally Posted by leosantare View Post
    Her enclosure is plenty large enough, 8ft x 4ft x 4ft. She and I get all my rats from Rodent Pro.

I will talk to my vet about digestive enzymes. Although, I think I'm going to lose her. I am noticing the triangular body shape. I will feed her tomorrow and get her weight on Friday. This all started, (6 months ago) with a little bit of blood coming from the mouth, (suspected early mouth rot) and was put on injectable antibiotics. Since then, no more blood and her mouth looks okay. I managed to get a pic when she yawned 🥱

My vet thinks I'm crazy and that nothing is wrong. Unfortunately, something is wrong...
    Bingo! I think that's "it"! Antibiotics destroy the GOOD bacteria along with the bad they're intended for- they don't discriminate. Digestion depends on good "gut bacteria", & since "this all started 6 months ago...& was put on injectable antibiotics" may I strongly suggest that you start adding reptile probiotics to her food immediately to help restore her essential gut bacteria (upon which her digestion depends). Either Nutribac or Bene-Bac-"FOR REPTILES" available OTC, without prescription- & by all means discuss this with your vet- hopefully they'll both agree & also add this to their suggestions for future patients. FYI- antibiotics are very hard on a snake's body- they're sometimes needed, but they have a downside. They're not harmless.

And listen, you know your snake better than your vet when it comes to sensing something is wrong- snakes can be very subtle & a vet that only sees a snake now & then isn't going to have the same "feel" for subtle indications. The same thing has happened to me in the past- the vet couldn't find a thing but I knew my snake was ill...sadly I was right. Snakes aren't easy patients- they're so stoic.

Anyway, my gut feeling was that this had something to do with your snake's gut- it wasn't until you mentioned the antibiotics, then the "light went on" & this explains the symptoms you've been seeing. With any luck, I hope this will fix things. (& allow some time- it won't work overnight, damage to the digestive tract can take some time to fully recover) The easy way to add probiotic powder to your snake's meal is to pack it into the oral cavity- be careful when you pry the mouth open- those rodent teeth are sharp- then push the mouth closed & feed. I'd give it every meal for a while. And please do keep us posted?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (03-21-2023),Homebody (03-21-2023)