Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,541

0 members and 1,541 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,762
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama

Thread: Is it my fault?

Threaded View

Thanks

Is it my fault?

Struggling with the loss of my 8 yo ball python, Atticus. I found out when we brought Atticus to the vet that he was actually a she, which explains her size. She wasn’t a giant by any means, but she was around 1900 grams and probably 4.5 feet long… anyhow, I noticed signs of respiratory illness one day and brought her in. She had never been sick before but she was a very well-behaved lady during her visit. Pretty sure the vet tech was in love She was still very active and we started her on oral antibiotics per the vet’s advice. She seemed to get better at first, then worse. Then she had a bowel movement, which I thought was a good sign. She refused to eat, but I Figured that was normal under the circumstances. she was showing some signs of distress continually, like elevating her head. She then started to look like she was going into shed. Her scales were at first flaky, and then a bit dull as you would expect. We finished a 10 day course of doxycycline. We didn’t give it to her every day - the vet said we could skip days if she seemed stressed. So it took us about two weeks… the day after her last dose, she was wheezing more, and when I went to check on her, she was so limp and lifeless. I rushed her to the e-vet, and they had to do an ultrasound to find her pulse. It all seemed so sudden. They recommended euthanasia, as there was very little hope for her…

I’m so heartbroken. I wonder if I did something wrong. She seemed to get worse when we started treatment.

RIP baby girl… I probably loved you more than you loved me, but that’s okay. I hope you know that I tried my best… but if I could go back in time and do better, I would.
    1.0 normal ball python (Atticus)
    2.0 cats (Amos and Adam)
    1.0 boyfriend (Alex)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shamri For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2022),Caitlin (07-14-2022),Homebody (07-17-2022),Kryptic (08-03-2022)