Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,710

1 members and 1,709 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 464 Posts

Dumeril's baby won't eat

I finally found a source I trust and got my last 'gotta have it' snake: a Dumeril's Boa. He was born on August 8 and at the time I got him (Sept. 28) had been taking regular meals of F/T rat pinkies. He hasn't eaten since coming home with me. A friend of mine who breeds Carpet Pythons got a pair from the same litter and hasn't been able to get his to eat yet either; we've been commiserating and brainstorming.

I know that young Dumeril's are well-known for refusing to eat, but I wanted to check in here and see if there's anything else I could/should be doing.

I have offered F/T rat pinkies and mouse hoppers so far with no results.

Before coming to me, he had been kept in a rack system in one big tub with his six male siblings, on aspen substrate. All of the babies that are still living in the rack system are currently still eating F/T regularly.

He's in a 24" long 18" high 16" deep PVC enclosure with deep aspen substrate and a deep heat projector. The enclosure also has a Shadedweller UVB but I haven't been running it as I am worried the light would be additional stress at the moment. Warm spot is 86F, with temp gradient going down to 78-80F. Ambient room temp is 75-80F. My ambient humidity is low (40%) so I put a Tupperware container in his enclosure that's filled with damp sphagnum moss. He spends much of his time there but sometimes is under the aspen substrate with just his head poking out.

The room is quiet with low activity, and I am not handling him at all. He isn't losing weight.

I hate to stress him with a move to a different enclosure, but I am thinking I should maybe move him into a small tub with a UTH, keep providing deep substrate, continue offering the humidity box, up the overall humidity to 50%, and try offering a meal in a week. OR I could keep him where he is, up the overall humidity a bit, and just wait him out.

I'd really appreciate feedback from those of you who have worked with these guys before - I know there are a few of you out there, and I'm totally open to making whatever changes I may need.

1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'