Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,344

0 members and 1,344 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,216
Threads: 248,623
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Sharon84

Threaded View

Thanks

How long has it took your new/baby BP to start eating?

Not a first time owner as I've had a few BPs before - an adult male and a hatchling so I'm aware of the various tips and tricks to help snakes settle in and begin eating but also entice picky snakes to eat.

However, I've got two hatchling females at the start of the week - one at 175g (hatched 12/07/2019 UK or 07/12/2019 for Americans) and the other at just about 100 (hatched 1/09/2019 UK or 09/01/2019 for the Americans).

I'm aware that they require a settling in period with preferably zero handling, so that's what both girls will be getting - I won't be trying to feed them until at least Monday, a full week after they moved.

My question is, as the title might have hinted at, how long has it taken your new or baby BPs to start eating? If you've had multiples, what's the range of time it's taken between the fastest adapted and the slowest?

I also would like to ask in the worst case scenario, if the smallest girl doesn't eat, at what point would you or should you be worried?*

*I'm more worried about the smaller girl as she is a lot younger and weighs the least out of the two. The breeder said the larger girl at 175g is a very good eater but the smaller one has only lately began to strike feed hence making me paranoid she might be a finicky eater in the future and struggle to put on a healthy amount of weight. ATM, she's a decent shape and size - spine is traceable but her body is sloped and her ribs can't easily be seen or felt.

I figured I should post on here asking for peace of mind based off of what other people's personal experiences are but also brace myself for the worst case scenario if she drops too much weight before beginning to feed again. She's lived in a tiny box since she was hatched - maybe 5L - I'm not exactly sure and I've placed her in a tub around 1.5ftx1ft covered in lots of fake foliage in order to create a darker and more enclosed space for her to try and minimise the stress from the increase in size.
    Last edited by Katie07; 10-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.