Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,095

1 members and 1,094 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,218
Threads: 248,626
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Pmcclanahan1

Threaded View

Thanks

Feeding Questions!

Hi all,

My BP is settling in pretty nicely so far- I don't think there's quite enough temp gradient in the tank, which I'm working on, but it's been 77-85 degrees with a hotspot of 88 over the UTH for the last 5 days or so so we're getting there. Humidity has been 55-65%, and he had a great shed about two and a half weeks ago according to the owner I adopted him from.

I attempted to feed him a FT rat tonight and there was lots of interest: strike pose, tongue flicking, tracking, but then he started investigating the tongs and the rat close up and decided not to take it. I'm figuring this is probably a combination of him still adjusting to the new environment and also the mouse probably cooling off pretty quick since I couldn't find a hair dryer. (I used warm water method but I don't think it ever really got hot enough. I dunked the mouse back in warm water a couple times but no go.)

I was attempting to feed in the tank and I gently lifted his hide off him before bringing the rat in with the tongs, since he was balled up very tightly asleep inside the hide. Should I have left the hide on him and just moved the rat around in front of the entrance?

I left the rat in the enclosure in a tupperware and am going to try and warm it up in hot water about 30/40 min and attempt one more time (he's balled up in his other hide currently) before throwing it out. My plan if he doesn't take it is to put a bigger cloth over the cage and leave him alone for another week before trying again with a hair dryer.

Any advice or things I should do differently/watch out for?

I could also use some advice on getting more of a gradient in the enclosure. Ambient room temp is about 75, the coolest side of the enclosure is reading about 79/80, and the warm side currently reading 84. (hotspot over UTH is 88) We're getting an AC but ambient room temp will probably remain 75+ for the rest of the summer. Should I turn off the CHE and just let him use the UTH? He was sitting on the cool side most of the time before I had the CHE installed anyways... <-- not such a big deal when temp is 75 but when temps are between 75 and 80 I'm not so sure I should have the CHE on in there,- I think it's just going to raise the temp up past 80 no matter what.
    Last edited by Quarks; 05-19-2019 at 03:39 AM.