Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,383

4 members and 2,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,408
Threads: 248,770
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, WheezyS

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 20,191 Times in 12,062 Posts
    how do breeders lose money? this seems like a rather unlikely situation. equipment and animals are a one time cost. recurring costs of feed electric and maintenance is minimal. i can see if you are going big and renting commercial property you can go down the toilet but that's not my goal. i just want to do this for myself and make a little extra on the side.

Ever hear of breeders losing all or most of their collection from contagious diseases that affect all or most of their animals. It happens. Especially with keepers who
    don't take the time to quarantine properly & routinely disinfect properly, and even among those who are just unlucky. It happens more often to those who don't
    bother to learn about the diseases & parasites that may affect their animals, & to those who take short-cuts and underestimate the risks.

I used to know a very private guy that bred & sold very high-end reptiles: he once confided to me that he was "amazed that people are willing to pay so much money
    for an animal that can just get sick & die." Because unfortunately that happens to breeders and pet owners alike.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (01-15-2019),paulh (01-15-2019),PokeyTheNinja (01-15-2019)