Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,436

0 members and 2,436 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons

Threaded View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How often do Hognose shed

My boy "Chuy" has not shed since mid June. I was wondering if the Hognose snakes shed slower or not has much as other snakes? Another thing I've noticed is he hasn't been keen on eating the last 3 times and he usually is a little piggy. He did not want to eat 3 weeks ago so we skipped that meal. The next week I offered and he turned away from it but eventually ate after with a couple trys at offering it to him. (I've notice he doesnt like prey with alot of fur on it. So I stick to medium size fuzzie mice as it only has a little bit of fur on it compared to fuzzie rats).

I am hoping for Deborah to chime in, as she knows best about these little noodles!! Someone told me that since he is a 1 yr old that perhaps he was reaching maturity and that possibly his hormones may have an effect on him?

I did have a lot of aspen substrate in his enclosure and couldnt feel the heat coming though on his hot side, so i took some out so it wasnt so much. The heat is set @ 93F on the thermo but when you use the temp gun it reads 88-89F on the hot side. He usually is chillin in the middle of his tub or opposite the hot side. I am wondering if his temps should be a liitle warmer on the hot side? Otherwise, he is a very active hognose in the mornings and then chills out by late afternoon.

With that said, Im not very concerned about him being picky when it comes to eating, because i know hognose snakes are famous for being picky eaters at times. My concern is the shedding. Is there something I should or shouldnt be doing for him to help?
    Last edited by Jus1More; 09-02-2018 at 02:49 PM.