Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,267

1 members and 1,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Btripp08 (38)

» Stats

Members: 75,150
Threads: 248,591
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dbook

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Unhappy ring of white puffiness around eyes, and there are tiny small white bugs! :(

This was not there even one week ago. But I took Jack my russian rat snake out and noticed his eyes had a puffy white rim. The rim of his eyes slightly distorted and swollen in shape, with the left eye being worse than the right. There were VERY tiny little white specks on and around his eye rim where the puffiness is.

When I looked very VERY closely, I realized the white specks MOVE. They almost look like tiny white spiders that only move once in awhile, many legs, which I'm assuming is a type of mite. But they are literally so small that a camera would not be able to capture it unless it's a macro, so I can't get pics of the mites themselves. But I have a pic of the white ring around his eye, once my phone charges.

It seems to specifically collect around the rim of his eyes, nowhere else.

Nothing has changed in his setup since I got him. None of my other snakes have it. Thankfully, Jack is on his quarantine downstairs. QUARANTINE YOUR SNAKES YALL.

So... any idea what this is, what has caused it, how it spread to Jack, and how to treat it? And how harmful it is? I noticed he seemed more lethargic when I took him out than usual, but not sure if it's just him being himself or if it is due to this.

the first issue I have with my snakes and it's on my poor hatchling of the most straightforward species! lol
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-22-2017 at 01:39 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-22-2017)