Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
One of my friends has a pair of syrian hamsters and just bred a litter lol! They're less bitey and frightened than other hamsters, and are generally supposed to be docile and good pets, if I know what I'm talking about. They're not social animals, and should actually be kept individually, so they're easier than rats in that respect (while if you get a rat, you must get at least 2 and house them together, or they lose their minds).

You know your kid best. I knew a 7 year old girl who insisted on a rat, her parents helped with research, but she kept her rat in her room and took care of the rat all by herself.
I was thinking that each one in their own cage would be ideal as the kids could keep them separately in their own rooms. I know it is an extra enclosure but I would not want to keep a single enclosure in the same room as the snakes.

Good to know to know about the Syrian hamsters. I believe that is what she had read and also watched on YouTube. It is amazing the amount of animal care videos out there.