Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,175

2 members and 2,173 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    You are NOT a terrible handler !!

Do not for one second think you are the only one that would rather not have a quick, defensive snake move towards the face, neck, arm, or any other area they could "chomp" down on.

Of course you will move him, and that moving/grabbing his body freaks him out and he whips around.

But that is all part of the "learning". In time he will learn even if he is touched or grabbed, it didn't kill him. He will not be so touchy anymore. At the same time you will learn that he is not coming at you to remove some flesh, every time

Noone likes to get bit. Its not even the pain. The pain probably wouldn't even be a big deal, but its our instinct to avoid it, and to keep the snake from tagging us. And when they move so erratic and are so touchy and "whippy", we can't help but have our own little "oh crap" moment and just want that head to point the other way NOW.

Don't worry about it to much or over think it. Just by eating and growing, he will start settling down. The "new" routines will become "routine" and nothing to worry about. The handling will become "no big deal". I think you are to hard on yourself. Don't think anyone of us is so "great" at it naturally. When Sandor moved towards my face my stomach dropped a couple of inches...LOL. I know how hard they can hit and I knew if I grabbed him and moved him away he would most likely freak and whip around. And then...nothing happened.

And even if we get tagged one day. Most likely it will be almost a relief afterwards, because it can't be half as bad as our brain makes it out to be.

Just handle him. He isn't made out of glass and he will not break if you maneuver his body around. The only way for him to get over freaking out when grabbed or moved/maneuvered is for it to happen. Until it doesn't bother/worry him anymore.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-28-2017),rock (03-28-2017)