Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

3 members and 3,218 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28

Threaded View

Thanks

My female snake acts strange..opinions?

Okay. I am a new member here. However I have gotten a lot of info from this site before I ever signed up! This is my first post~I'll try to keep it short (go easy on me lol be nice

a lil background~I have had assorted snakes in the past. And currently own three snakes. (2 bp, 1 redtail boa). My 2 female bps I got from a friend of mine who breeds bps. They are both from last years clutches and are only a month apart in age. They are kept in identical terrariums. I use a UTH with occasional heat lamps when it gets cool in the room. I monitor the temps closely as well as humidity. Now my question lies in the difference between my two snakes. I offer them both half-logs which are pushed up against the back of the enclosure, so they are open only on one side. I keep the temp appropriate and monitor all of my snakes closely because I enjoy them very much. However my normal bp hides all day, only comes out occasionally in the evening, or when she gets hungry. This is what I have always experienced with my snakes in the past as well. She is docile and gets handled often, and she prefers the comfort, warmth, and security of her hide. (I was very careful to select logs that weren't too roomy so they felt snug!)..but my fireXspider bp (the yellow one in my pic-she was smaller in the pic that was when I first got her)...she is always out and cruising around! I know she is settled in because I have had them for over 8 or 9 months. She never hides. Even when sleeping, she will curl up in the middle of the floor (usually near the hide-it's the same temp where she lays as it is In her hide because I checked with the laser thermometer out of curiosity)...or she will lay on top of the log, on her branch, or on her water dish. When she isn't sleeping she is cruising around and VERY active. It's odd to me because of all the snakes I have owned bedore~I have never had one that never hides. Never seen one so active and always on the move. She doesn't seem stressed. Eats every week. Sometimes two baby rats in one meal. She's handled almost daily and enjoys it. Often cuddling up and even falling asleep on me. I don't feel that it's due to stress as she eats so well and readily comes to me on her own. I just don't know if it's normal because I've never seen a snake act like she does. I'm sorry I was so long winded but I wanted to include as much Info as I could think of. She also has a slight "wobble" to her as many spider bps do. But it doesn't interfere with her ability to eat and she is very healthy. Just not as strong physically as my normal. But she has a clean bill of health from the vet-that's just how she is physically. Not too strong. Any ideas why she may be so active or why she isnt hiding? Also I wanted to add that I have offered other hides as well! Small boxes, crumpled paper, all kinds! She rejects them all! Is this normal? She also prefers to be with people than in her cage. I've tested this theory. She will crawl from her cage to sit on me if left open. Every time. Is this normal? Should I worry?
    Last edited by Tastykake; 06-08-2015 at 10:43 AM.