Most people put their males into the females tubs. Reasons I've read was that females need to be "comfortable" and you don't want to move them so much as they are the ones to lay the eggs. Does anyone have any proof that there is any benefit to this vs. the other way around?

A few years ago I first started breeding, and I was not confident with my experience so just did what everyone else said to do. That year I had two females that would violently fight and wrestle any male put in with them. I posted and asked and the response was always to re sex the female as it must be a male. I would resex and find female and people just told me to resex again ad infinitum.

Now I KNOW they are females, as they laid eggs last year. The trick was to put the female into the male tub instead. I suspect that it was some kind of territorial behaviour on the part of the female.

Since then I have been putting those particular females into the male tubs, and for others I jusy do it the traditional way, which works most of the time. Now, I have many more breeding sized females this year. One more has started fighting the male, and I plan on putting her in the make tub to try. That got me thinking. Why not just put ALL females into male tubs?

It would be easier for me, as I keep breeding tubs on paper during season and others with aspen. So I could have only the male tubs switch to paper instead of all the females. Plus I don't need to keep track of which females are the territorial ones.

So anyone has real results or proof that it is better to put the male into the female tubs instead?