Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,248

3 members and 2,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,394
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, 316 Pythons

Threaded View

Thanks

Big mistake with a happy ending

Could not find any tortoise section? Thought that was funny since one is in the logo. But anyway,
    Had a big scare today. It's a toasty 88 degrees here today (freaking boiling killer hot compared to what we're used to in this part of the world, AND we have NO AC). Wanted to take some pictures of the snakes, and decided to let our sulcata romp in the back yard.

Not gonna lie, I've been so lazy this summer. I've kept up with the front yard but have neglected the back. It's a jungle back there. We have a patio and that's what I was using for pictures.

Anyway, I go inside for maybe 15 minutes. I thought this would be fine seeing as our tortoise moves, well, like a turtle. I come back out and he is GONE. Gone gone.

Now, this is basically my gf's tortoise (he will be 1 year old in September, and we've had him since October 2012). She loves him to death (has a closer emotional connection than any of our snakes). The gf was out hanging out with her mom. Of course I'm afraid for the tortoise's life, but holy lord am I afraid of her reaction!

I quickly panic and proceed to search all over the yard (careful of where I step), and after 30 minutes I decide to call her.
    As you can all imagine, that did not go very well lol. I continue to look for another 30 minutes (pretty much having a heat stroke at this point!!!). I'm freaking out, how far could this turtle go??? What if a bird got it?

I'm feeling so stupid and irresponsible. Out of desperation I get the weed wacker. Don't worry I was extremely careful! only cutting the very tops of the grass and what I could see, mainly using it for the wind power. After about 20 minutes of weed wacking I found him.....thank god.

Mistakes teach us the most powerful lessons!

Lol I was calling his name like a dog the entire time, because every morning when I feed him and clean his water I call his name "Tortee, Tortee, food!" (gf named him) and he always comes "running" to the sound of my voice. Pretty sure I got sunburned and pretty sure I no longer am allowed to take him out haha. I am, however, allowed to feed, clean, and rehydrate him.

A shot taken this morning. We have french doors in the bedroom, and was letting the cool morning air in before the temps warmed up. You can see our rott laying in the grass which indicates how tall it is. Also, the structure you can kind of see is the shed/playhouse. Our back yard in very small but the front is easily 5x as big and fenced in so that makes up for it.

Right where the weed wacker is is where I found him, deep under at least 18 inches of grass lol, eating away. A full 10 FEET AWAY FROM ORIGINAL LOCATION. The large weed growing is in the middle of our fire pit haha which you can't see at all.

And here he is, perfectly fine. Thank god!
    Last edited by SnowShredder; 06-30-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnowShredder For This Useful Post:

Anya (07-05-2013),Pyrate81 (07-02-2013)