As my roommate and cousin are both looking to get ball pythons and want my help, I need to plan a couple of cages. I found this cool-looking plastic bin cage plan and I like the idea of having the window to be able to read gauges without disturbing the snake. However, I have a few questions that I hope you could help me with.

First, how is the effectiveness of a UTH affected by the thickness or type of plastic that you use? I understand they work just fine with Sterilite shoe boxes and such, but would they work as well with a bin like the one in the link or like this Rubbermaid one? I like how easy it appears to be to secure that one against escape. If it's too thick for a UTH, would you go for a thinner material or create a hot spot another way?

Second, would one UTH and one incandescent bulb (50w? 60w? 75w?) be enough to manage heat for a container that size? If not, what would you suggest?

Third, what are your experiences with regard to BP's preferring something to climb on or being happy with just hides? There are a lot of stackable or drawer type containers that might work well in limited space but wouldn't allow for a climbing structure made with PVC or branches. In other words, what is a good height guideline for plastic enclosures and why?