hello everyone,

I'm new here and to mice breeding. I currently have a 1:2- the male a "fancy" from Petco, one brown female another "fancy" from a different Petco the other a white feeder from my local store. As soon as I introduced them the male tried to force things but things have calmed down since. I put them in only on Friday (the brown female Saturday); I'm patient and know it takes time, but my only frustration is that I hear lots of squeaking but no plugs (I check in the morning and in the night before bed) The white female was in estrous Fri/Sat and it looks like the brown female is already proestrous. Seems like the females are refusing the male but I'm not sure why. I noticed my male has some bulges on his side- is this normal? I heard that if a female believes something is wrong with the male she will refuse him. But he's very healthy otherwise, active, great coat.

I am keeping them in clear plastic shoe storage container that I put lots of holes into. I know most use a 10gal tank, but I heard they do better for mating in smaller quarters and I'm tight on space- I live in a studio. They seem completely fine with the amount of space though, they spend most of the time cuddling or exploring the things I place in there for them. Aspen bedding, a small hide that they all sleep in, water bowl (until I get a water bottle very soon, it took me a while to figure out how to rig the bottle onto the container but I change the water l2x a day at the minimum, usually 3x or whenever it gets messy to keep it clean) and PLENTY of food. They get along very well, sleep together and do not fight. I try to keep them stimulated, they love the little toilet paper rolls and I placed some toilet paper in there and they started nesting with it. Trying to keep them on a 12 light/ 12 dark cycle.

I know it is very early to be concerned being that it's only been 4 days but my main concern was with those bulges on the male.

Just looking for some feedback and if anyone can give some advice or tips from previous experiences.

Thanks