Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,044

0 members and 2,044 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,394
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, 316 Pythons

Thread: 18 Tub Rat Rack

Threaded View

Thanks

Cool 18 Tub Rat Rack

This is a pretty standard design, but I figured I would share since I stole all of the ideas from other posts here. I just started this afternoon so the rack is still a work in progress.

• The tubs ($5.47 * 18 = 98.46) were the concrete mixing tubs from Home Depot. I checked the ones at Lowe's but they were a bit too flimsy.
    • I got two 2'x25' rolls of 1/4" hardware cloth from Home Depot as well, which came out to $91.94. Hindsight... you can just get 4 rolls of 3'x10' and save like $20.
    • All of the PVC, lumber, screws, water tub, etc. ended up costing around $150.
    • I already had water nipples. These will run you about $75 for 18, plus shipping.

All together with tax and military discounts I'm into it for about $350, plus the water nipples that I bought a few months ago while building my other rack. About twice as expensive as I figured on when I first started thinking about doing this, but not too bad I guess.

Initial cuts:
    • 1x2x8 - 24 28" cuts
    • 1x4x8 - 24 22" cuts
    • 2x2x8 - 12 67" cuts, 24 25" cuts

Beginning the first frame:

I already built the first frame and attached and marked the rails to exactly where I wanted them. I took the rails off because I still have to put the hardware cloth on, but I used that first frame to mark exactly where I want the rails to go on each of the other frames. This should speed up the process a bit.

Note: Don't buy twisted 2x2s like the one I have in the middle there. I have to replace that one tomorrow

Here I am doing each tub individually, but you can use the 3'x10' roll and just go length wise across the entire frame. You should be able to cover 5 tubs with one roll, so use 4 rolls @ $18 a piece. $72 instead of the $92 that I spent.

Make sure you fold the cloth over the front and staple it down, otherwise your fingers may get stabbed while pushing in the tubs.

Testing the tubs. They slide perfectly, and the gap seems to be about 1/8" to 1/4" which should be fine.

I can get a bit more detailed with the measurements and material list if needed. More pictures probably tomorrow!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (07-07-2011)