Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,151

0 members and 2,151 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112

Threaded View

Thanks

A massive bunch of newbie questions.

Ok, I'm picking up my ball python hatchling this Saturday and would like to get a few things straight as the reptile store guy was completely unhelpful. Yeah, he answered all my questions, but according to the internet he gave me all the wrong answers. And then everyone on the internet says different things! It's driving me crazy!

So, here we go:

1. Do both hides need to be filled with live moss, or just one? Reptile store guy says one should be filled permanently with it.

2. How/where do I store the spare live moss? It's currently in a sealed plastic bag.

3. Will my python be OK with just a heat mat, or should I get him a ceramic lamp as well? (Everyone has been giving me conflicting info on this one). If it makes any difference temperature-wise, I live in the UK.

4. The heat mat seems to take up 2/3rds of the floor space, as opposed to a third. Yet this is the one the store guy gave me for it. Should I buy a smaller one, or should I just move this one to the side a bit?

5. Where in the tank should the thermometer and humidity gauge be placed?

6. How many of those do I need?

7. Does anyone know any good brands? (Also bearing in mind again that I don't live in the US)

8. How often do I need to mist the viv, if at all? A few people I've asked have said it's unnecessary, but how else would I keep up humidity (I guess I'd have to get a massive water dish?) Also, the moss needs to be misted… arghhh.

9. I'd kind of like to get some extra furnishings. What would be appropriate?

10. I think he gave me beech chippings as a substrate (I'll call tomorrow and check). Is this fine?

11. Should I get a Mat Stat, or a Pulse Prop one?

Oh gosh, I'm in paranoid momma-mode. I hate to think what I'll be like when I actually have kids.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Sugarbit; 06-14-2011 at 12:00 PM.