Hi all of you cool bp-lovers

I'm new to the bp.net community, and had a few questions since I recently purchased a normal "captive hatched" bp from Petsmart ... yes, I know it's better to buy from a reputable breeder than at "Pet(not-always-so)smart" , but in all fairness this particular location has a bp-lover who's in charge of reptiles and she seems to know how to care for bp's pretty well.

The closest local breeder that I know of (Chicago Reptile House in Orland Park, IL) is about an hour away and the owner said all of his bp's are breeding right now and he doesn't really have a good selection of bp's for sale at this time. Since I purchased my first bp in the early 90's from the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley, CA and have had great experience raising a healthy young juvenile bp to about 5.5 ft long, I knew generally what to watch out for when considering a new bp.

Besides, I just couldn't pass up this particular young normal bp Petsmart had named "Honey" because she's got a sweet disposition (extremely docile and friendly, hence my username), plus she's got a lighter color for a normal ball, cool looking jewel-like eyes, and a nice pattern. "She" hasn't been sexed yet so she may in fact be a he - but the name's cool no matter what Honey turns out to be.

Petsmart got her 12/27/10 and they said she was probably hatched in summer. She seems to be a bit thin, weighing in at 110 grams and is about 17-18 inches long. (Note: Petsmart's feeding log shows she ate a F/T mouse every week.)

And that's where I get my questions:

1 - Does this seem to be thinner than one would expect for a bp of this length?

2 - Does it seem likely that she was born last summer?

and,

3 - What age (or length/weight) would it be best to have Honey sexed by a local breeder?

It's nice to note that she's already shed perfectly (1 piece, no eyecaps) and seems well adapted to her new home.

She finally started eating 16 days since her last feeding at Petsmart: 2 f/t fuzzies, one right after the other, but I did have to expose their brains, releasing their scent which finally enticed Honey to strike. A previous attempt to feed had failed - not a single strike - so I took the advice given in another member's post as well as in BP.net's bp caresheet re: waiting a week before trying to feed again and to cut into prey as such - thanks so much!)

My first bp, Regina, was acquired from a breeder's shop and lived in a custom built wooden enclosure with an acrylic window and melanine floor. I used astroturf and a uth and she shed perfectly every time and ate like a champ. Unfortunately, I had to give her back to the shop because I moved to Brazil for a few years.

I'm finding that Honey's enclosure, while not very pretty to look at, is even better: It's a sterlite tub, has cocunut husk substrate (holds moisture/maintains humidity great), 2 identical tight-fitting, one-opening hides (one placed on each side) - and most importantly 3 uth's each individually controlled by Helix thermometers, (81F cool side, 90F warm side, and 80F ambient air temp); ambient air temp is heated by a uth on the outside lid of the tub. A digital temp and humidity gauge is located appropriately in the tub and the temps and humidity are always right where they need to be.

Having 3 proportional thermometers in one enclosure is expensive, but I figure it's a worthwhile investment when spread over many years of enjoyment with a happy and healthy pet. And besides, how else can one be virtually guaranteed the ability to maintain the right temps all of the time without any guess-work and practically no effort? I also love the fact that I was able to place as many holes in the tub as needed to get good air circulation and maintain proper humidity (normally 55%; 60%-65% during shedding) - a quick spray or two (or more when shedding) once a week is all that's needed.

Honey must be happy because I get a warm and friendly reception to handling. I love how she sits with me contently, wraps around my fingers, looks about curiously, but doesn't bolt to find a place to get away and hide. I'll have to update my profile with some pictures of her soon.

BTW, it's worth checking out rickysreptileenclosures.com because he's got some great info & videos on husbandry and he gives a detailed explanation of the criteria used for determining a proper enclosure that mimic's a bp's natural habitat. His info could probably help put to rest much of the debate re: plastic vs. glass enclosures, plus why not to use of heat lamps. His enclosures look great too, but since bp's are not arboreal, I chose a tub and spent what I saved on Helix thermometers.

Thanks for reading, and we want to thank to everyone who took their time to answer our questions.