Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,100

2 members and 2,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,393
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bananas_momma

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: Taming and Growth

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    Hey guys;

It's pretty much the same techniques involved - be it an anaconda or a retic or an African rock...

When I'm doing "trust work", I basically just do my regular enclosure maintenance, though I make sure to do something everyday; be it changing the water, or removing feces - whatever. Ensure that they get your scent; they don't have to make direct contact - just know it's you in there, and don't bother them AT ALL. No handling, petting or anything. Just do your thing, and leave them alone. This way they get to know that you are a regular, non-threatening part of their environment. Some animals may take longer than others (nervous monitor lizards take the most time; snakes are nothing).

Keep us posted.

Chris
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. Can this apply to say....a retic that's roughly 2 - 3 years old? My "problem" retic was adopted when she was more than a year old; the previous owner pretty much hook trained her all the way; explains why she's nice once in your arms but a chainsaw if you try to pick her up without it.

EDIT: I know that this is the anaconda forum but I pretty much have the same dilemma as the OP when it comes to handling. Here's to crossing my fingers that taming "nasty boids" is universal....
    Last edited by retic720; 02-26-2010 at 02:23 PM.