Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,189

0 members and 3,189 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Advice on transporting 8 snakes 1300+ miles in a UHAUL??

Yes you read that right. There is every chance my beloved and I will have to leave Denver (on rather short notice) and move up to Seattle (specifically Bonney Lake near Puyallup). My dear father has graciously offered to take us into his home and help us find jobs and then an apartment.

Due to the fact that neither of us has any income now, and that we only have money through September, it is looking very likely that the move will come to pass. I sent tons of emails and finally learned that I can indeed take my dear snakes and BTS with me!

So now, I have to figure out a way to transport said 8 snakes to the PNW in a Penske or UHAUL truck. My skink has a cat carrier, and my snakes do have small tubs I place them in for holding...but 8 tubs in a truck??
    I had the idea to place them in snake bags, then place the bags all in one rubbermaid tub that I could have at my feet or on my lap. Might that be an acceptable method?

Ideas? Comments? Tried and true methods?
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Re: Advice on transporting 8 snakes 1300+ miles in a UHAUL??

i saw in an earlier thread about moving snakes that u should keep the WITH you so that they dont get exposed to the sun, or overheat and all that other good stuff. keep em in shade!
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Igloo is now your friend.

Get a cooler big enough to put your snakes in once they're bagged. Get heating and/or cooling packs and use them as necessary.

You should have no problems this way. I've done it many many times when transporting reptiles.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

i ended up packing my 4 snakes in individual bags and putting them in a big shipping box and keeping them in the cab with my BF and i while we drove in the uhaul. (the box was a snake shipping box complete with insulation and news paper). i zip tied everyone in their bags, and put the snakes in size order from left to right to make sure no one would squish the other.

probably not the ideal situation.. but it was really the only thing i could do. everyone arrived safe and sound.

Thanks

I too have used the method Wes mentioned many times and it worked wonderfully. Everyone made it from Texas to Arizona and then from Arizona back to Texas. I just also took a spray bottle full of H20 to mist down any that needed it because it was super hot when we moved.

Oh and by the way... Go with Penske. They take WAY better care of their trucks than UHaul. My dad does a lot of work with Penske and their policy is to keep a truck for only 3 years. UHaul usually keeps their's till they die. There are also tons of reviews online with UHaul customers talking about how the trucks died, breaks quit, etc. I'll see if I can find the one's we found for ya.
    *Micah*
    My blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spygirl View Post
    I too have used the method Wes mentioned many times and it worked wonderfully. Everyone made it from Texas to Arizona and then from Arizona back to Texas. I just also took a spray bottle full of H20 to mist down any that needed it because it was super hot when we moved.

Oh and by the way... Go with Penske. They take WAY better care of their trucks than UHaul. My dad does a lot of work with Penske and their policy is to keep a truck for only 3 years. UHaul usually keeps their's till they die. There are also tons of reviews online with UHaul customers talking about how the trucks died, breaks quit, etc. I'll see if I can find the one's we found for ya.
    The price reflects it as well though.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice so far!

Yes, we will be going with Penske as it's cheaper than UHAUL and seems to have a better rep.

The only issue is that there will be 3 of us in the cab. That doesn't leave much room for anything else. But I can at least pad a tub with foam and put the snake bags in there with hot or cold packs as needed. The trip is estimated at 19-20 hours.
    Would I have to open the bags at any time for air circulation? Or are cotton pillowcases going to be breathable enough with the tub lid lifted from time to time? My dad is...rather unliking of snakes.

Thanks a lot, and keep the suggestions coming!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Whatever you do, be careful if you put the rubbermaid on the floor of the truck. The floor can get very hot (at least it can in a Uhaul cargo van) and can cook your snakes. Believe me, I know from experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

I would definately go with the cooler. And you can periodically check on them.....as the way this heat is, I wouldn't chance leaving them in the back of a super hot vehicle!!!
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

If you do an evening departure you'll be most of the way there by the time the sun warms things up and even then, it shouldn't be too hot.

You may well be able to put them in the back of the truck. Just be sure, as Jaimie said, to keep them off the floor. Air will be no problem and other than to reassure yourself there is no need to open the bags to check on them for that short a ride.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast