Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,333

0 members and 3,333 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Question Is this an alright setup for a shedding BP?

I made some rearrangements and hopefully this will lead to a good shed. I wanted to ask you guys if you think this is acceptable for a shedding BP, and you tell me to remove/add anything that may be helpful or useful to achieve a good shed.

Ok so a while ago a friend told me covering up all sides of the enclosure with towels/bed sheet would help relieve stress because when a snake is in shed it can get stressed easily and is already somewhat stressed because it cannot see well and if the snake can see out of the enclosure it won't feel that secure and stress because it cannot see so covering all side (besides top and bottom) will help the snake feel more secure and stress less. So, last night I covered each side with a towel (well, used two towels. The two were pool towels since they're long and cover one short and long side) and taped it so it would fall or anything like that. Last time I did this the snake had a pretty good shed, and I know how ball pythons can stress easily so this method seemed to work.

I created a moist hide with a glad container and cut a hole large enough for the snake to get in and out of the hide. I put a few layers of warm damp paper towels and misted the sides and top inside and out (inside for some extra humidity, and out to help with the humidity outside of the moist hide). I misted the enclosure once more since the heat lamp dried it out.. again. I refilled the water dish too with clean water. The screen lid was also covered with a plastic sheet that I hot glued down to the lid to keep in the humidity (did this a few months back) and there was still more than half of the screen lid remaining so I covered some of it with a warm damp towel and just enough space remaining for the heat lamp. The humidity reads 65%-70% right now. So, is this just fine and will she have a good shed and do I need to remove/add anything?
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Re: Is this an alright setup for a shedding BP?

Anyone?
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

That sounds like it should be okay. :-] I use something similar to you: I cut a hole in a plastic container and put damp fake moss in the bottom. The snakes always go into the container when in shed, and they always shed just fine.
    Periodic Table Pythons - Quality, captive-bred pythons? It's elementary!

1.0 VPI Axanthic, 1.0 Genetic Stripe, 1.0 Red Axanthic, 1.0 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 50% Het Albino, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Het VPI Axanthic, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal.

Thanks

Sounds fine to me. My girl seems to be fine with her 50-55% humidity though. I don't do anything different when she's ready to shed and we've never had an issue with retained skin or shedding in pieces.
    0.1-Normal BP-Makena

Thanks

If you want an easy way to raise humidity, then just put your heat lamp right over your water dish!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

I just place a wet towel on the screen top and re-wet it each night. Idont' cover the sides of the tanks. My snakes shed at night and most times in their hides. I don't use humid hides or anything like that. But then again, I am in coastal North Carolina where the only difference between the ambient humidity and a shower is water pressure...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."