Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

2 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

My Pastel hammering down Fuzzies. Im so proud! And a question.

So Ive had my male pastel for 2 weeks on friday, hatched July 4th. He has responded fantastically to being in my care, much to my suprise! I thought I would have more trouble being a new BP caregiver. Anyway, I decided to feed him for the first time on saturday evening. I fed him two F/T fuzzy mice. The store didnt have small mice so I fed him two of these. He hammered both of them down, then yesterday (tuesday) I decided to feed him again a day early. I fed him two more fuzzies (I got a pack of 6 on saturday) and he nailed those down amazingly. Afterward he stayed in an attack ready position and refused to move from where I was feeding him. So I thawed out another fuzzy and he absolutly nailed it down. I am so proud of how well he has been feeding! He hasnt missed a strike yet except for when I accidently dropped the fuzzy as he was about to strike and he hit the tongs. I am such a proud parent.

I dunno what Im gonna do with the 1 fuzzy I have left. I am gonna get some small adult mice for next feeding and should I give him the 1 fuzzy also if he will take it? I dont know his weight yet, I just bought a scale on ebay and am waiting for it.

Thanks for any responses.
    1.0 Lemon Pastel - Diesel

Thanks

Re: My Pastel hammering down Fuzzies. Im so proud! And a question.

Quote Originally Posted by specialk01510 View Post
    So Ive had my male pastel for 2 weeks on friday, hatched July 4th. He has responded fantastically to being in my care, much to my suprise! I thought I would have more trouble being a new BP caregiver. Anyway, I decided to feed him for the first time on saturday evening. I fed him two F/T fuzzy mice. The store didnt have small mice so I fed him two of these. He hammered both of them down, then yesterday (tuesday) I decided to feed him again a day early. I fed him two more fuzzies (I got a pack of 6 on saturday) and he nailed those down amazingly. Afterward he stayed in an attack ready position and refused to move from where I was feeding him. So I thawed out another fuzzy and he absolutly nailed it down. I am so proud of how well he has been feeding! He hasnt missed a strike yet except for when I accidently dropped the fuzzy as he was about to strike and he hit the tongs. I am such a proud parent.

I dunno what Im gonna do with the 1 fuzzy I have left. I am gonna get some small adult mice for next feeding and should I give him the 1 fuzzy also if he will take it? I dont know his weight yet, I just bought a scale on ebay and am waiting for it.

Thanks for any responses.
    Feed him an adult, & give him the fuzzy as "desert". The number he ate for you this feeding suggests this should be well within his abilities. Most baby BPs can easily eat an adult mouse so check into getting FT fuzzy rats for the 3rd feeding, Feed a mouse first like you normally do, then offer the fuzzy rat as desert. After a few successful feeding this way you can skip the mice & go to rat pups/ WRs. Then you can just increase the size of your rat as your snake grows
    All the Best,
    Deb @ www.NorthernRegius.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRegius For This Useful Post:

specialk01510 (08-19-2009)

Thanks

Re: My Pastel hammering down Fuzzies. Im so proud! And a question.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernRegius.com View Post
    Feed him an adult, & give him the fuzzy as "desert". The number he ate for you this feeding suggests this should be well within his abilities. Most baby BPs can easily eat an adult mouse so check into getting FT fuzzy rats for the 3rd feeding, Feed a mouse first like you normally do, then offer the fuzzy rat as desert. After a few successful feeding this way you can skip the mice & go to rat pups/ WRs. Then you can just increase the size of your rat as your snake grows
    Thanks, that sounds like a great plan. The mouse fuzzy for "desert" was kinda what I was thinking. I wanted to start him on rats, but I just went with what I could find at the petstore. Im at home for another week of summer vacay before Im back to college. Ill take the time to find him proper F/T rats at school. There is also the Kalamazoo reptile show Im gonna check out.
    1.0 Lemon Pastel - Diesel