Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

6 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Rat breeding question????

I have 3 groups of 1.3 rats and have a few rats that are prego. So I seperated them first and put 3 prego's together and they seemed to be fighting so I put them into seperate tubs themselves. So now I have one prego in each tub alone. Is this right or can you house a few prego's together? And if you can is there a higher chance of the females killing babies if one of them delivers before another?? I seen that ralph davis puts prego's together and does ok but mine seemed to have been fighting and it wasn't seemingly playfull to me. So let me know how you's do it and what has seemed to work well for you guys. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Re: Rat breeding question????

I usually keep them together, but sometimes there is the once in a while "fight picker"......I usually feed her to one of my hungry momma BPs. The other moms just simply adopt her babies. I prefer not to have mean rats in my colony.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

So how many prego's do you keep together? I had three in a tub and 2 seemed fine with eachother and the one was the instigator so to speak just like bullying the other 2 around so I just seperated them all in order to avoid conflict and death of any babies. But I think the other 2 would be fine together. I think I might feed that momma off once she delivers and serrogate out her babies between the other 2 moms.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

You can keep them together but I find I have better production and survival rate when I separate them before giving birth.

Sometimes Moms play tug of war with babies fighting over them, it can get kinda nasty. Once in a while I get the terrible mom who just kills babies, they become boa food fast and any babies go to other mothers so separating helps control loses there too. Not very often but it does happen.

Many people leave them all together and just consider it part of the process. If you have the availibilty to separate then I would if not you may or may never have problems. Its up to you and what you are ready to deal with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

BAD Morphs (08-16-2009)

Thanks

Just spereated all 3 females to there own tubs and just looked in on them and one is delivering as we speak!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!! My first ever litter!! So far she has had 6 and all live and kickin! No casualties as of yet!!!!