Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

2 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How many females can a male breed to in a season?

As I've been collecting babies, I've been trying to set them up for breeding in a few years.

Originally, I was going to buy two males and two females. A male pastel and lesser, and a female spider and cinny.

Now I'm thinking I might get a female lesser instead and have 1.3.

I understand the idea of giving him breaks, but can one man do the deed three times in a season?
    -Paul-

Thanks

Re: How many females can a male breed to in a season?

Quote Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
    As I've been collecting babies, I've been trying to set them up for breeding in a few years.

Originally, I was going to buy two males and two females. A male pastel and lesser, and a female spider and cinny.

Now I'm thinking I might get a female lesser instead and have 1.3.

I understand the idea of giving him breaks, but can one man do the deed three times in a season?
    If you do it correctly(giving him breaks in between females). He should do fine with three. I would give him 2-5 days per female and 2 days off in between females.

Thanks

I think the optimal ratio is 5 females for every 1 male. Anything past that, I think you really have to know where the females are in their cycle. You would have to carefully plan out your pairings. The most I've done is 4. I've heard of some doing as many as 12, but I think that is unrealistic.
    ---------------------
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    If you do it correctly(giving him breaks in between females). He should do fine with three. I would give him 2-5 days per female and 2 days off in between females.
    That's what I figured. 2010 is going to be a whory year for Titan.
    -Paul-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norse79 View Post
    I think the optimal ratio is 5 females for every 1 male. Anything past that, I think you really have to know where the females are in their cycle. You would have to carefully plan out your pairings. The most I've done is 4. I've heard of some doing as many as 12, but I think that is unrealistic.

Im pretty sure Grant at lavenderalbino.com had something posted like 17 from dh lavender clown. Of course this was with help from his ultrasound. His page is underconstruction so i cant back track and verify.

Thanks

That's what I figured. 2010 is going to be a whory year for Titan.
    This made me laugh, lol. Good luck, I hope everyone gets up to weight and has a good first year in 2010. Just be prepared for the worst--things never seem to go right when you're expecting something to happen, haha. Murphey's law holds stronger in reptile breeding than anything else, I'm convinced! Anywho, good luck again!

Cheers,
    -Matt

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Each female really only needs to be with him once a month, although I know people like to do it more often. Be sure to give the male nice breaks between females, to allow him to eat and rest. At least 4-5 days when you plan to feed him - allow him to digest his food.

I do 3 days with a female, 4 days rest as a cycle. If he hasn't locked with a female in the 3 days, he's not going to during that rotation, so there's no need to keep him in any longer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Each female really only needs to be with him once a month, although I know people like to do it more often. Be sure to give the male nice breaks between females, to allow him to eat and rest. At least 4-5 days when you plan to feed him - allow him to digest his food.

I do 3 days with a female, 4 days rest as a cycle. If he hasn't locked with a female in the 3 days, he's not going to during that rotation, so there's no need to keep him in any longer.
    Yep. Most people put the males with the females way more than is probably needed. I do once a month for each female and twice a month if it's a female from a project that I really want to go or if I don't have much planned for the male that season. I have not seen any difference from breeding them twice a month and I probably won't bother with it for next season. I have even heard of some breeders that only breed each female once per shed cycle. Really I think the bottom line is that if your females are old enough and large enough almost every female that is bred will lay. Especially if they had the previous year off. I have 3 clutches in the incubator now from females that were only bred one time this year.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
    This made me laugh, lol. Good luck, I hope everyone gets up to weight and has a good first year in 2010. Just be prepared for the worst--things never seem to go right when you're expecting something to happen, haha. Murphey's law holds stronger in reptile breeding than anything else, I'm convinced! Anywho, good luck again!

Cheers,
    -Matt
    Yes, hopefully I can get the women folk up to size. Sadly none of them are growing as fast as my male. So we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post

Thanks, I have calender schedules for all the animals. I suppose I can throw this up there too. (his rest/booty schedule)

Quote Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
    Yep. Most people put the males with the females way more than is probably needed. I do once a month for each female and twice a month if it's a female from a project that I really want to go or if I don't have much planned for the male that season. I have not seen any difference from breeding them twice a month and I probably won't bother with it for next season. I have even heard of some breeders that only breed each female once per shed cycle. Really I think the bottom line is that if your females are old enough and large enough almost every female that is bred will lay. Especially if they had the previous year off. I have 3 clutches in the incubator now from females that were only bred one time this year.
    What would cause you to not breed them the next season? A significant drop in weight?
    -Paul-

Thanks

)

What would cause you to not breed them the next season? A significant drop in weight?
    I usually try to breed my snakes almost every year, but if they don't get back up to weight, or if they laid a very late clutch I will give them a year off. I also have a couple snakes that will just not seem to go two years in a row even if they look to be in perfect condition. So now that I know which ones are every other year breeders I will usually not waste my males time on them on their off years.
    John Vandegrift

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast