Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

3 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Got a ? about mouse food

Ok, so here is the deal. I would someday like to start a mice or rat breeding project but, as of right now, I have no need for that. Currently though, I have an extra mouse that I ended up not feeding yesterday due to only needing to feed one insted. I currently have him in a 10gal. with aspen substrate, a little water bowl, and a little food bowl. Right now he only has dog food in the food bowl but I wanted to ask, while I'm waiting for my bp's next feeding session, what would be good to feed him. I know there are things like the mazuri feed and all but I'm looking for something simple in the time being that is safe for the mouse and my bp and that will be a healthy food for both? Also, are there any other specific accomodations I need to make for the little mouse? I have the little critter carry box I brought him home in as a little play/nest are if needed/wanted. Is there anything else I need or should do to keep him healthy for my snake? Thanks for any help or suggestions

Thanks

Re: Got a ? about mouse food

if i had left over live feeders (has happend twice) i set them up just like you did and gave them some grain based cereal, corn flakes, crispix, etc. stay away from processed sugars. I also gave them some fruit like apple slices. Im unsure if its the best thing for them but they weren't going to be around long anyway. Seed diets are poor choices because they're high in fat and lead to a lot of wasted food for rats especially.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

Quickone4u (08-12-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    if i had left over live feeders (has happend twice) i set them up just like you did and gave them some grain based cereal, corn flakes, crispix, etc. stay away from processed sugars. I also gave them some fruit like apple slices. Im unsure if its the best thing for them but they weren't going to be around long anyway. Seed diets are poor choices because they're high in fat and lead to a lot of wasted food for rats especially.
    I'll have to give some of those a try, thank you!

Thanks

Anybody else have any other suggestion for food or needed changes to housing?

Thanks

i would say both are fine. I breed ASFs, Nor. Rats, and Mice and all are set up very similer and all eat Dog food, (with no red dyes) and a tiny handfull of bird seed as a treet.

Eric

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

this is good info that you can raise mice with also

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=89199

however the hog feed does not have enough protein content for lab rats but will be fine for mice.