Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

1 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Update on Buckskin baby-she's not so baby anymore!

I had a mother daughter pair and they were ok being separated, etc. Just make sure you DO it consistently and you'll be fine.

I thought of something you can do before she is ready to ride-- have you tried ground driving? That is when you take long lines and teach the horse how to be driven in front of you. YOu can teach the basics of steerign and stopping and going all while walking behind her. It's very fun once they get the hang of it. Then you can walk her down the road and go exploring if she is brave enough...

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZinniaZ View Post
    I had a mother daughter pair and they were ok being separated, etc. Just make sure you DO it consistently and you'll be fine.

I thought of something you can do before she is ready to ride-- have you tried ground driving? That is when you take long lines and teach the horse how to be driven in front of you. YOu can teach the basics of steerign and stopping and going all while walking behind her. It's very fun once they get the hang of it. Then you can walk her down the road and go exploring if she is brave enough...
    Oh my gosh! That's a fantastic idea!!! I don't know why I didn't think about that before! I've never done any line driving, but it's the same basic principals of riding so she'll be learning how to respond to the bit before I ever get on her! YAY thank you for the advice!!!

I've heard mixed opinions about which bit to use on her. I have a plain broken snaffle and Tom Thumbs with and without leverage (I also have the old style solid western ones, but I HATE those and would never use one). I'm assuming I should start her with the plain broken snaffle??? That's what I've put in her mouth for round pen work, but it was only so she would get the idea of what a bit felt like, I didn't use the bit to control her. We have a lot of cowboy trainers around here that will go to the grave only ever using some sort of Tom Thumb. I don't want to train her the "cowboy way". My style of training is very calm and patient with lots of verbal cues. I discipline by backing up/going in circles/natural consequences (like the rearing solution I explained earlier), and I heavily reward them with verbal cues and pets. I've compiled things from many trainers that I've worked with. I'm not a horse trainer by any means but I can do the basic stuff!

Although, with this gentle style training I'm running into a problem I've never had before! She doesn't respond to the lunge whip in the round pen, she just stands there!!! You can tell our mares (that we didn't raise) have all had bad experiences with whips, this girl just doesn't care! I can even tap her with it I have to clap and yell at her to get going. She got her mom's laziness that's for sure! Maybe the cowboy way is better just kidding!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

She's just gorgeous Stephanie! I love her! I haven't worked with horses since I was a teenager when I used to show for someone, so my experience is very rusty!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (09-18-2009)

Thanks

she's beautiful! i have a soft spot for buckskins, palominos, and liver chestnuts with flaxen main/tails.

I also love Greys.

anyway, she is very pretty and looks to have a great personality.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PearlGirl For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (09-18-2009)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    She's just gorgeous Stephanie! I love her! I haven't worked with horses since I was a teenager when I used to show for someone, so my experience is very rusty!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlGirl View Post
    she's beautiful! i have a soft spot for buckskins, palominos, and liver chestnuts with flaxen main/tails.

I also love Greys.

anyway, she is very pretty and looks to have a great personality.
    Thank you! I've always had a soft spot for buckskins as well! Although, paints have always been my favorite by far-that's what my mare is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    She's 14 months old now can you believe it! We had a family friend come over who was really upset with us for not having her trained yet. We were hurt and wondering why on earth he was so upset with us for not training a year-old Turns out he thought she was two years old and just sitting in the pasture untrained

She's halter broke-obviously, I've trained her in basic round pen work, very little started in lunging because I don't want to stress her joints. She picks up her feet, I've saddled and bridled her and worked her in the round pen. She's had some ground work. She walks through creeks and over bridges......I can't think of what else to do while we're waiting for her to grow up and turn two so we can break her to ride!!!

She's 15.1 hands right now. (my little sister in the pictures)

At the county fair mom and daughter (I know the halter is way too big for mom, but we just through it on while we were preparing her for the show then put on her show halter as well)

***Does anyone have experience with keeping a mother and daughter into adulthood? We've heard different opinions on this. Like-we'll always have troubles keeping them together and riding them together.***

Wife is the horse expert but I can tell you she has had mother daughter and mother son pairs with absolutely no problems.

Thanks

We currently have one quarter horse mustang mix that she rides and an arabian that belongs to me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatoyman View Post
    Wife is the horse expert but I can tell you she has had mother daughter and mother son pairs with absolutely no problems.
    Oh awesome! Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear that! We've heard a lot more negative opinions about keeping the daughter than positive ones, so I'm really happy to hear that your wife has had them without problems!

Thanks

You were asking about training Dennis Reese on RFD tv you know the red neck channel can help with the training ideas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12