Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

0 members and 3,283 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: $20 to spend on UTH and dimmer, would it be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    What's wrong with just using a dimmer?
    it doesnt adjust the enclosure temps for temperature change in your room.
    a thermostat will turn the heat off if it starts getting too warm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I would get a thermostat first. You can't use belly heat without a thermostat so if you can only afford the belly heat then it is useless until you can get a thermostat.
    I'll have to disagree on that, but only a very short-term, temporary basis. Here's the thread that was written about it: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=98678

ReptiBark works well in lowering and raising the snake away from the UTH. For those few days while waiting for a thermostat ordered online to arrive, it'll do. Of course, if you don't already have the bark and need to spend money to buy it, then you may as well buy that Lutron dimmer.

Playing the adding/removing bark game also worked for me because during summer I'm home a lot more and so was able to constantly keep an eye on temps. If I were working a full 8-hour day out of the house, I'd be afraid of using an unregulated UTH.
    1 husband ~ 2 daughters
    1 dog ~ 3 cats ~ 1 guinea pig
    1 BP: Patriot

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

The problem with the depth of bark idea is that snakes are perfectly capable of burrowing down through it or simply shoving it out of the way.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Thermostats are really pricey to get for just one snake... and if you are using a commercial heat pad and not flexwatt you really don't need it. A dimmer would be adequate for a single pet snake IMO. Air conditioned houses aren't going to get too hot for a snake without a thermostat unless the heat pad takes up the whole cage, in which case you have bigger issues. That's why our store doesn't sell flexwatt or thermostats, because we cater greatly towards these kinds of customers with just a few snakes who don't have rack systems or designated snake rooms.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulihzack View Post
    Thermostats are really pricey to get for just one snake... and if you are using a commercial heat pad and not flexwatt you really don't need it. A dimmer would be adequate for a single pet snake IMO. Air conditioned houses aren't going to get too hot for a snake without a thermostat unless the heat pad takes up the whole cage, in which case you have bigger issues. That's why our store doesn't sell flexwatt or thermostats, because we cater greatly towards these kinds of customers with just a few snakes who don't have rack systems or designated snake rooms.
    What about the Repti temp 500r? That costs $25.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

That is really not true. Commercial heating pads get just as hot as flexwatt and I have seen it with my own eyes.

I have also used just a dimmer in an air conditioned room. There are heat spikes well over 100* and that is not safe for the animal. There are cheaper thermostat options out there. If someone is using a dimmer, I think it should only be a temporary fix. Forking up the extra $25 for a thermostat is not a big deal to ensure that your snake will not be cooked.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Sorry, I totaly disagree.

A thermostat might seem pricey at first glance but they last for years and can be moved between enclosures as the snake grows - and it means the temps are always right. I think that and the thermometers and humidity monitors are simply the most important pieces of equipment you can buy.

Your statement about comercial heat mats is simply wrong - you cannot say they will never get to a dangerous temperature because some of the makes and models will. Ultratherms might only get 10 degrees above ambient but the rest can and will reach 120f +

A dimmer switch is a viable method of control in a relatively stable temperature environment - anywhere else and you will need to monitor it and continually adjust.

If your house only varies by a few degrees then fair enough - mine varies by considerably more than that over the course of the year. I also sadly don't have air conditioning.

The simple fact is too cool a temp will possibly lower your snakes immune system and lead to infections getting a hold etc in time but too high a temp will kill it or cause neurological problems within hours.

It is entirely your choice what your shop sells but thinking they are not needed is simply not correct.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

WHen I have look at a Repti Temp 500R Thermostat at a petstore it didn't have a temperature range on the dial, just a low to high type thing. How do you know what temp you are actually setting it at?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    WHen I have look at a Repti Temp 500R Thermostat at a petstore it didn't have a temperature range on the dial, just a low to high type thing. How do you know what temp you are actually setting it at?
    You use a thermometer to measure the temperature.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    You use a thermometer to measure the temperature.

So is it just a trial an error thing until you get the right temp?

Will all of those reptitherms have the same range on the dial or does it vary from one to another. What I mean is if one is set at 90 degrees will another be 90 in the exact same spot?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast