Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

1 members and 3,342 guests
AR29,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My mouse breeding setup

since the taxes are raising and mice are expensive i thought id breed mice. my plans for breeding mice are:

3 20qt tubs with a few holes drilled in it. Im gona buy a male and a female.aspen on the bottom, a water botle thing,a hide and food and maybe a running wheel. when she gives birth im gona put the male in his own tub or im gona feed him to my snake, and when the mice are weaned im gona separate the males from females. so im only gona need 3 tubs: one for the gravid female, one for the males, and one for the females. is this okay?

and i heard they smell really bad so im gona try one litter and see how it goes if its not to bad im gona keep doing it.

and i heard putting vanilla extract in their water decreases the smell of there uran. im gona try that.

someone please tel me if im doing it all right. thanks for reading!

Registered User JenEric Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My mouse breeding setup

try rats or african soft furred rats.....also i am experimeting with vanilla extract in water to mask urine smell.....plus from what ive read...rats are healthier and have bigger litter...........

thats the two im dealing with,the store i got my soft furred from only gave me sub adult females so they been real slow to reproduce.........they are not up to size on my ASFs i had 1 litter in 2 months and had 3 babies that didnt survive,I did just have a litter of rats 10 and they are doing great i am looking to build a rack system for both i have 2.12 asf and 2.4 rats going to get more rats this weekend.............so we will see
    i did have mice for a while and boy do they smell!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phunkyone808 View Post
    try rats or african soft furred rats.....also i am experimeting with vanilla extract in water to mask urine smell.....plus from what ive read...rats are healthier and have bigger litter...........

thats the two im dealing with,the store i got my soft furred from only gave me sub adult females so they been real slow to reproduce.........they are not up to size on my ASFs i had 1 litter in 2 months and had 3 babies that didnt survive,I did just have a litter of rats 10 and they are doing great i am looking to build a rack system for both i have 2.12 asf and 2.4 rats going to get more rats this weekend.............so we will see
    i did have mice for a while and boy do they smell!
    im just gona try mice for now, since i have 3 baby snakes(Corn,2bp). and when they get bigger im gona switch to FT. and if i put the mice and tubs in my room, will it make the whole room smell? im gona use an air freshener just to be safe lol. or i could put them in my garage or somewhere outside? is that a possibility if the tubs have locking lids?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bamf64 View Post
    im just gona try mice for now, since i have 3 baby snakes(Corn,2bp). and when they get bigger im gona switch to FT. and if i put the mice and tubs in my room, will it make the whole room smell? im gona use an air freshener just to be safe lol. or i could put them in my garage or somewhere outside? is that a possibility if the tubs have locking lids?
    mice do smell quite a bit. mice need alot of ventilation or they lung problems due to the ammonia in their urine. if you keep it clean, not overcrowded, and lots of cool dry air they will do fine. mice produce really well if you keep them between 50 and 70 degrees F. i wouldnt keep them outside because they will surely get parasites internal and external also temperature would be an issue either durring the winter or the summer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    mice do smell quite a bit. mice need alot of ventilation or they lung problems due to the ammonia in their urine. if you keep it clean, not overcrowded, and lots of cool dry air they will do fine. mice produce really well if you keep them between 50 and 70 degrees F. i wouldnt keep them outside because they will surely get parasites internal and external also temperature would be an issue either durring the winter or the summer
    okay. i put them into tubs but im moving them to tanks in a few days. check out the video i made and tel me how im doing.YouTube - Mouse Breeding Project P1