Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,461

1 members and 3,460 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My new little girl has curred my anxiety and panic attacks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))

Hi all ! I've been suffering with horrible anxiety and panic attacks for the last year now :/. It's kind of been a living hell some days. There have been weeks that have gone by that I was lucky to have a day with out a pannic attack or just an over all break down :/. Anyway, if you want to understand more theres tons of stuff online about the condition.

I have a great family, close friends, an amazing girl friend, and on top of constant dr's visits on and off different medication I just haven't seemed to get any better. until.. My buddy suggested I should get another dog. Maybe a puppy to keep me occupied and see if it would help get my mind off things. Well of course being the animal lover I am I thought it was a great Idea and we headed out to local pound the next morning.

I walked through the entire dog room stopping at every single cage for like 5 min... lol we were there for over 2 hours :p. I kept noticing all the pits that were all beaten up and it made me want to cry. So i told myself right then and there I was getting a pitbull to keep some ass like Mike Vick getting a hold of him...

Well there were like 10 and I couldn't choose between any of them so we decided to go to the puppy room. Well I walked in and every single dog got up and started barking. All except one... I walked up to her and she licked my hand through the cage. I didn't even notice she was a pit until i read her card :p. I got her out and feel in love immediately! She was the chillest puppy I have ever seen. She licked my face to death and when I put her down to see how she was with other people she got in between my legs and just sat there looking up at me wagging her tail :p.

Haha sry this is so long, but ive had her for a few weeks now and I haven't had a day that ive felt really anxious yet! I know that may sound weird to some people but there would be times when I would just simply get out of bed and have a panic attack... wasnt much fun.

So yeahhhh shes by far the easiest dog to train that I have ever had. And she was a stray that was brought in btw. Shes only 3 months old. Ive already got her sitting, laying down, playing fetch (she actually drops it at my feet) and i got her potty trained with in the first week as well ). Not to mention shes my little shadow and has to come everrrryyywhere with me.

Long story short, I have never felt so in love with an animal in my life. I honestly think she is what has made my anxiety and panic attacks completely go away .

So hers a few pictures i have of her. OHHH YEAHHH!! Her Name is Juno ! Oh and what else do you guys think she has in her? I'm thinking her face looks a little like lab. But shes still small so only time will tell.

Nappp timeee

Car ride to the vettt

My Girls

Taking a bath at the dog park.... in the big dog water bowl :p
    Last edited by TheShortBus; 08-06-2009 at 01:49 AM.
    1.0 Banana Piebald
    1.0 BEL (Lesser Mojave)
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel
    1.0 Calico
    0.1 Piebald
    0.1 Stirlingbee
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Yellow Belly
    0.1 Enchi Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

Re: My new little girl has curred my anxiety and panic attacks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))

Awww, I'm so glad she's helped with your anxiety. My boyfriend suffers from horrible panic/anxiety attacks too. His doctor just recently put him on another new medication that seems to be helping. (He has to take more than one to keep everything under control). I know how debilitating they can be.

I'm glad you rescued a pitbull. I used to volunteer at an animal shelter and it was ridiculous how many pits came through there. Yours looks really sweet. My last boyfriend's family adopted a pitbull and I swear it looked like she was mixed with chiuahuah (that can't be spelled right). She was the smallest pit I've EVER seen, and she had those ears. Can you just imagine seeing that? A pit and a chihuahua going at it?

I would also guess some sort of lab or hound as to what yours is mixed with. Those big, floppy ears just make you think labs and hounds.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindibun For This Useful Post:

TheShortBus (08-06-2009)

Thanks

what a lucky puppy, most people dont give pits a chance. You should see how far you can take her in her training (obedience, agailty, fly ball) pit bulls are super smart dogs, plus it could keep your mind busy with something constructive for you and your pup.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie-n-Heith For This Useful Post:

TheShortBus (08-06-2009)

Thanks

Panic attacks are brought on by the build of anxiety. If you can find a way to relieve your anxiety throughout the day, then you will be much less likely to have a panic attack. One great method is relaxation therapy. I used to have panic attacks, and still have a mild / moderate case of agoraphobia, but I have not had as many issues and no panic attacks since I learned relaxation therapy.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

TheShortBus (08-06-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

What a sweet girl! Do you still have any anxiety and panic attacks when you leave home and she's not with you?

If so - you may want to look into training and having her certified to become a service dog for you, which would give you (and her) legal access under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Now would be a perfect time to start working with her on her training, if that's something that you think you might want to look into. I didn't pay attention to your location when I hit reply, but each state has their own laws, so you'd need to find out for your state, the process for becoming certified.

Edit - Wow, you're practically a neighbor to me! I'm in Marietta.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

TheShortBus (08-06-2009)

Thanks

thanks so much for all the advice guys . i didnt even realize that manny people understood what ive been goin through. ive tried all kinds of relaxation therapy and the best thing for me is to go build something lol.

My dads an engineer/carpenter/raised as a good old boy lol, and my moms an interior designer so its kinda in my blood to have all kinds of crazy ideas flowing though my head and sometimes and ill just have to make a home depot run :p. only problem with that is im extremely ocd kinda when it comes to stuff i build cuz it has to be perfect so that tends to stress me out lol and has actually cause my anxiety to pop out of no where at times.

but still nothing has helped me more than her so far . latley it kind of has been like if i dont have her with me to keep me company i do tend to feel bad at times. even if im just going to the pet store. if she doesnt come with me i feel like i have to just get what i need and get out of there :/.
    1.0 Banana Piebald
    1.0 BEL (Lesser Mojave)
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel
    1.0 Calico
    0.1 Piebald
    0.1 Stirlingbee
    0.1 Enchi Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Normal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Mental disorders suck hard.

Hurray for drugs. And dogs She's a cutie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    What a sweet girl! Do you still have any anxiety and panic attacks when you leave home and she's not with you?

If so - you may want to look into training and having her certified to become a service dog for you, which would give you (and her) legal access under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Now would be a perfect time to start working with her on her training, if that's something that you think you might want to look into. I didn't pay attention to your location when I hit reply, but each state has their own laws, so you'd need to find out for your state, the process for becoming certified.

Edit - Wow, you're practically a neighbor to me! I'm in Marietta.

I've never thought of that actually lol. But I don't know if what I have would be considered a disability to most. I feel like people who truly need a dog companion to help them out in everyday life probably have it a lot harder than i do. but im still going to look into that lol, cuz that wold be really cool.
    1.0 Banana Piebald
    1.0 BEL (Lesser Mojave)
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel
    1.0 Calico
    0.1 Piebald
    0.1 Stirlingbee
    0.1 Enchi Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

What a cutie! thanks for sharing your story and rescuing a dog.

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I know how difficult it can be with panic attacks and anxiety. I have severe anxiety issues and have panic attacks every time I step foot into a car. I was in a car accident almost four years ago and I still freak out when I travel in a car. I am getting better though. I am on some new medications now that have helped immensely. I am finally getting to a point where I can sit in the car and not freak out. I hope to one day be able to drive again. I am slowly working towards that goal. Your puppy is just so cute! I am so happy that you have made a new friend and that she is helping you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast