Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

2 members and 3,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Super Dwarf/Jampea Reticulated Python

For the last few days I've been testing the ground on some medium-sized snakes, meaning 6-10 feet. My next stop is the reticulated python, but not the normal-sized one, the jampeas and super dwarfs. Are their husbandry requirements identical to their larger cousins, except for the size cage? How much do they cost? How bout their temperaments?

Thanks

Re: Super Dwarf/Jampea Reticulated Python

Thanks for posting this b/c I'm considering one as well, if you don't mind I'd like to add a question:

Assuming the snake stayed int he 6-7 ft range, would a 41 qt sterilite be acceptable?

Thanks

Hahahaha, no prob. Hey, you're in North Carolina? Where, I'm in Asheville, out west.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

A note of caution, jampeas are often considered "dwarf retics", while they don't get as big as full sized retics, they still get very big.

Thanks

First: Jampea dwarfs are alot smaller in size than mainlands, BUT FEMALES CAN REACH 16 foot!

Second: Super Dwarfs stay around 6-8 foot. they are about 1000.00 bucks each, and relatively hard to find CB... adults prefer similar housing to a carpet python, they are somewhat arboreal.

there are a ton of different retic locales so go do research before buying em.
    i suggest going to the constrictor forums, i know many knowledgeable retic owners on there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FIEND_FO_LYFE For This Useful Post:

PigsnPythons (08-04-2009)

Thanks

I'm in Raleigh. I was just near Black Mtn this weekend though...lol

Also, I'm pretty sure Garrick at royal constrictor designs has some cb super dwarfs. I've bought ball pythons from him before and he is great. If I decide to get mine, he is probably who I will go with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PigsnPythons View Post
    I'm in Raleigh. I was just near Black Mtn this weekend though...lol

Also, I'm pretty sure Garrick at royal constrictor designs has some cb super dwarfs. I've bought ball pythons from him before and he is great. If I decide to get mine, he is probably who I will go with.
    Raleigh?? How long have you lived there? I just moved to Asheville in August of '07 from Raleigh.

$1000??? That's a wee bit pricey. What's the average size of a male Jampea?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

CB SD 'tics aren't quite $1000 nowadays from the prices I have seen around, I've seen 'em as low as $500ish. In fact bob clark lists them on his site at $650.They are still pricey compared to many other non-morph snakes, but there just aren't as many of them around yet. They aren't impossible to find either, but certainly more difficult than your average corn snake.

In addition, bob clark prices his jamps only a little less than SDs, at $500, so both are certainly multiple times more expensive than a regular 'tic.

This is all I have to say on Jamps: they do get big.

YouTube - Big Jampea

Granted that's a female, but males will still get big enough to be considered a big snake.

Be prepared for a big snake if you get a jamp. They are active, they are inquisitive, and they deserve respect.

This is not to dissuade you, just so that you're not surprised about how big a "dwarf" snake can get.

Thanks

As I said in my first post, I'm on the hunt for medium sized snakes, males sized 6-10 feet. Besides the much-too-large jampea, and the perfect-but-pricey super dwarf, what other nicely sized snakes that make good second snakes (following a happy ball python) are out there that you'd recommend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abuja View Post
    For the last few days I've been testing the ground on some medium-sized snakes, meaning 6-10 feet. My next stop is the reticulated python, but not the normal-sized one, the jampeas and super dwarfs. Are their husbandry requirements identical to their larger cousins, except for the size cage? How much do they cost? How bout their temperaments?
    If you are looking for a retic at that size, then there are alot of options, although I would not recomend a Jampea. Super Dwarfs, SD/Jampea cross stay within that size range.

Quote Originally Posted by FIEND_FO_LYFE View Post
    First: Jampea dwarfs are alot smaller in size than mainlands, BUT FEMALES CAN REACH 16 foot!

Second: Super Dwarfs stay around 6-8 foot. they are about 1000.00 bucks each, and relatively hard to find CB... adults prefer similar housing to a carpet python, they are somewhat arboreal.

there are a ton of different retic locales so go do research before buying em.
    i suggest going to the constrictor forums, i know many knowledgeable retic owners on there
    I agree, however Super Dwarfs don't sell for 1000.00 anymore, I got mine last year for 500$ each. The average price range now is 500 - 750, depending on the breeder you purchase from.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast