Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

2 members and 3,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What have i gotten myself into

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Sarcasm. The first retreat for those who know they done bad.
    i can only imagine what youve done before.

Thanks

yall are right if you dont have experience you shouldnt get one. that goes with cars too, so in yalls opinion should noone have a car becaause some have killed with them? so if your inexperienced with cars you shouldnt start right. maybe starting off with a 8 footer wasnt the brightest move to you all but you dont know what situation this person is in. instead of down talking you should do everything to ensure he is properly knowledged bout this snake. might save a life.
    or this hobby that you are so concerned about but arent willing to help out a guy who needs some.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azpythons For This Useful Post:

I<3Dreamsicles (08-11-2009),stormwulf133 (10-23-2009)

Thanks

Its too bad that you won't realize that you can't handle the task of taking care of this snake until it's too late. You have to look out for the safety of yourself and those around you. This is NOT a beginner snake that you have. If you don't have the experience, you shouldn't have the snake. Starting off with an 8 foot burm is NOT how you get experience, its how you get hurt. If you have any respect for yourself or the people around you, you will get rid of the snake.

To put it bluntly, if you take this animal out of its enclosure and it happens to be in a bad mood and decides you're a threat, it can very easily overpower you and kill you in the blink of an eye. You will not have time to run and call for help, you won't have time to really defend yourself. An 8 foot snake is no joke. If you cannot handle this snake now, its going to continue to grow and get even more out of hand. If you're having trouble now, wait until its even larger. When this snake is full grown you will need 3 or 4 people around just to take it out of its enclosure to clean the enclosure.

The title to your post says it all "What did I get myself into?". The worst part of it is, you have no idea just how bad your situation is. You seem to think that it's something you can fix and keep the snake. The only way to fix your situation is to get rid of the snake and get a baby.

Honestly you should start off with a baby redtail boa, or a ball python. They are great beginner snakes and grow to a nice size while still being manageable.

You're asking for advice, everyone is giving you advice, but you don't want to hear it. Get rid of this snake, and get a beginner breed! Don't exchange it for another burm or rock python. Giant snakes are not for people with only a limited amount of experience. That is the best advice you'll ever get, and its the advice you have been getting. Do your research on whatever species you choose to get BEFORE you get it.

Don't be too proud to admit that you cannot handle this, because if you don't realize it now, odds are the event that makes you realize it will be the one tha kills you. This ISN'T a game and your pride is going to get you into some serious trouble.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azpythons View Post
    yall are right if you dont have experience you shouldnt get one. that goes with cars too, so in yalls opinion should noone have a car becaause some have killed with them? so if your inexperienced with cars you shouldnt start right. maybe starting off with a 8 footer wasnt the brightest move to you all but you dont know what situation this person is in. instead of down talking you should do everything to ensure he is properly knowledged bout this snake. might save a life.
    or this hobby that you are so concerned about but arent willing to help out a guy who needs some.

With a car, you'll likely go through driver's ed, get your permit and drive with your parents, have your jr. license and not be able to be out late all before you have your real license.

You can relate this to a snake by starting with a beginner breed as a baby. Start off with something that cannot hurt you, learn all you can about it and take care of it, watch it grow, have it learn to trust you, learn to read its moods and when to leave it alone.

Plus you're relating a car(something that is necissary for living in the modern world) to having a pet(something that isn't necissary). Your argument holds no water and is in no way helpful to anyone.

Thanks

Well I think everyone is in agreement that the only thing that will help him is to get rid of the snake. He has no experience with burms yet he has an 8footer. The best thing for him to do would be to take it back and see if the guy he got it from will let him help out once or twice a week with the burms he owns. That will show him what he is about to get into. Once he does that for awhile he could maybe move on to getting a baby burm.

Also it has been asked and i may have missed the answer. But does the OP have someone who is knowledgeable that can help him out when it comes time to remove the burm from its enclosure? If not then i think the smartest thing to do would be to go ahead and get rid of it. No experience + pissed off burm can equal a bad ending.

Thanks

The OP should have done some research first before getting this snake. He's already shown he has no knowledge of large species by saying he's going to return this 8ft burm for a 6ft which is just going to grow to be an 8ft anyways.

Thanks

I just have to say something....I have read countless posts of Wilomn making his sarcastic, witty remarks, trying so hard to get a reaction, and "thanks" from people. Do you REALLY think that is productive? Sad...but true, is that whenever someone is facing a problem, and another individual comes at them with sarcastic, witty, arrogant responses...they take almost nothing serious or to heart that the person has said,they brush off the advice, and it turns into just an argument, and over all makes the person feel really bad. We all make mistakes...and yes I really do believe the OP made a mistake...but he knows this. Life lesson learned...lets help him fix it before there is more of an opportunity for it to effect all of us in the herp world. It SHOULD be known to anyone to do research, real time handling, etc before taking on such a large snake...but in some cases that is just not going to happen. Luckily he came here for advice instead of just taking it on himself, getting hurt, and then it really affecting all of us.

Now, I really do think that the gloves comment was out of line. It could have been way more effective if you had just said to him that snakes can bite anywhere, not just hands, and that gloves aren't very useful. That would make him not feel so bad, and he would actually listen to what you are saying, and not brush you off as a trouble starter.

My advice to you OP, honestly, is to get rid of the snake, give it up to someone with experience, and who is fully confident, and ready to take on such a large snake , who may have a bad temperament. No matter what you say, you are not ready. And if you do take it back, and get a smaller Burmese...no one can help you..because you are not willing to help yourself! The smaller will get just as big as the one you have! If you REALLY want a large snake...find some people who have them, and start handling them, feeding them, observing them..etc. Please just take some time on getting a large one until you have had enough experience with them, and have done a lot of research.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creeptastic For This Useful Post:

stormwulf133 (10-23-2009),Zach (11-24-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Creeptastic View Post
    I just have to say something....I have read countless posts of Wilomn making his sarcastic, witty remarks, trying so hard to get a reaction, and "thanks" from people.
    Ohh gosh golly darn it, I've been found out again.

LOL

Or, perhaps, having had this conversation with a few thousand numbskulls I actually meant what I said when I said that I did NOT care one bit about this guy personally but I did have a care for what he could do to MY, and your, right to keep these snakes.

Let him get all butthurt. But I bet he'll never forget. Neither will you. Nor will countless others.

Who's more effective?

You, with your hugs and pats on the boo boos?

Possible, but unlikely.

By the way, talk about arrogant, how about someone ASS uming they know someone well enough to tell them how they think and why; amazing what some people say when contrasted with what they do.

Isn't it?

Get rid of the snake. Get a baby.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    You, with your hugs and pats on the boo boos?
    You leave me outta this!!! LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    You leave me outta this!!! LOL
    I had a Pat the Boobs book when I was a kid...Pop up book with all kinds of textures..I like it!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast