Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,442

1 members and 3,441 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What have i gotten myself into

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0 View Post
    Before people get a giant python, they should handle a really pissed off 8 foot boa. Then, just imagine something that is at least twice the length and 5 times heavier, then decide if you still want a giant.

Robin
    H2 Exotics
    I think they should just handle a angry burm. People think its really cool to keep these animals but when they get big it becomes a workout just to do a simple cage cleaning.

Thanks

I think someone wanted a "big" snake, and they wanted it NOW!!!!!!!!! Why else would anyone with no experience with large snakes jump in and buy an 8 ft. snake? Now they have bit off more than they can chew!!!!!! I agree with the above post. If that snake hurts him, or even worse, then it affects EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Wow I thought the point of this forum was to ask questions and receive help when needed. But just so you know the local reptile store owner is going to work with me on handling this giant snake. I'm disgusted with the way some of you have responded. Instead of talking crap and telling me I'm going to die. Why don't your try giving me advice on handling the situation. It's all good though. I'll keep you updated on how my snake is not killing me
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 RTB
    1.0 Burmese

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echs332000 For This Useful Post:

azpythons (08-05-2009),Zach (11-24-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by echs332000 View Post
    Wow I thought the point of this forum was to ask questions and receive help when needed. But just so you know the local reptile store owner is going to work with me on handling this giant snake. I'm disgusted with the way some of you have responded. Instead of talking crap and telling me I'm going to die. Why don't your try giving me advice on handling the situation. It's all good though. I'll keep you updated on how my snake is not killing me
    Why?
    Because people have been killed because of ignorance and it gives the guys who want to ban our animals more leverage to actually ban them.
    How much research did you really do? Why did you get an 8ft and not a baby?

Do you live alone?
    I've been keeping for 4-5 years. I won't consider a Burmese python until I have the reliable space, experience, and knowledge (as well as another knowledgeable person always within reach).

You should never handle that snake by yourself. That IS going to get you killed if it's aggressive.
    We're not trying to bash you down. Were just telling you the harsh truth. Your risking our entire hobby through ignorance as well as your life. That is something that should not be messed with.

The point of this forum is for knowledge. Yes it's for questions, but when we see something that could change our entire hobby as we know it, we're GOING to defend it.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

coolluigi007 (08-04-2009),Didgie (10-15-2009),Dr_Gonz0 (08-05-2009),Freddiesinmyseat (08-05-2009),Ophidian Obsessed (11-18-2009),Whodinidunit (10-11-2009)

Registered User mrs.twistedtails's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Why?
    Because people have been killed because of ignorance and it gives the guys who want to ban our animals more leverage to actually ban them.
    How much research did you really do? Why did you get an 8ft and not a baby?

Do you live alone?
    I've been keeping for 4-5 years. I won't consider a Burmese python until I have the reliable space, experience, and knowledge (as well as another knowledgeable person always within reach).

You should never handle that snake by yourself. That IS going to get you killed if it's aggressive.
    We're not trying to bash you down. Were just telling you the harsh truth. Your risking our entire hobby through ignorance as well as your life. That is something that should not be messed with.

The point of this forum is for knowledge. Yes it's for questions, but when we see something that could change our entire hobby as we know it, we're GOING to defend it.
    couldnt have said it better myself. Thank you!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrs.twistedtails For This Useful Post:

blackcrystal22 (08-10-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by echs332000 View Post
    Sarcasm. The first retreat for those who know they done bad.

Look, it's fine to have wanted a big snake, it's fine to have bitten off more than you can chew, it happens all the time.

It is not fine to decide that because YOU made a mistake and YOU got all butthurt that YOU get to decide how others treat you. Not fine at all.

Just do things the proper way, get some experience, raise up a little one to a big one, go to bob clarks forum and see if there isn't someone in your area that has some big snakes that would be willing to let you help clean and feed a time or two or just come see them.

Pet store snakes are there for one of two reasons. Someone got a baby and it out grew them or it's just plain mean. Some of the snakes that just got too big weren't handled as much as they should have been because the previous owner was scared or for whatever reason didn't put in enough time to keep the snake friendly.

Find a breeder. Do yourself and all of us a favor and look before you leap.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

blackcrystal22 (08-04-2009),coolluigi007 (08-04-2009),Serpent_Nirvana (08-10-2009)

Thanks

I agree with you on how people act on here sometimes. Just take it for face value though. A lot of burmese keepers and breeders are on edge right now because they are about to have thier rights taken away due to somebody getting into something they couldn't handle. The trick to responsible handling, besides having a buddy present, is to read your animals. If you learn your animals inside and out you will be able to tell if they are shy, stressed, angry, deffensive or hungry. Learning your animals, especially ones that get huge, is something that you want to do when the are young. This being VERY inportant if you are a first time burmese owner. If you get bit, it doesn't necessarly prove to be fatal or near fatal. The mistake you made was buying a snake that is already big in which you don't really have to room to make mistakes in reading thier behavior. I can almost gaurantee you that the story is somewhat similar with all the other accidents involving big snakes. The reptile industry doesn't have any strikes left when it comes to big snakes and accidents. By the way, you might want to check into a snake that is less aggresive. Rocks are known for bad temperment. They are deffinately NOT beginner snakes. We are all hoping that you make the right decisions in this situation.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twistedtails For This Useful Post:

I<3Dreamsicles (08-11-2009),JohnAvilla (10-15-2009),Whodinidunit (10-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    The best thing that would be for you if you wanted a snake that got rather large would be to purchase the snake you wanted (Burm, Retic, Anaconda, Rock, etc.) as a hatchling or juvenile. When you get a snake that's older, it's harder for them to get used to your scent and become used to human contact. If it was a baby, the biting wouldn't hurt no more than a pinch (when my female bit me it only felt like a pinch) and obviously it doesn't hurt one bit. Sometimes people can't even feel the bite. So it would have been best to go with a hatchling or juvenile while it's still small. The younger they are, and the more you handle, they may just get used to quicker than a sub adult or an adult would.
    Ya, well, the issue is some snakes are just plain mean. Doesn't matter how much you handle them or how long you keep them. If the snake wants to be mean, it is going to be. The issue is 1. If the OP doesn't have a 2nd person to help handle it, He/She shound not have it. Period. 2. Even if he/she gets a baby or a juvi. A Burm/Rock is going to grow and be a 8 foot, or even bigger, in no time, even if the snake is "used to human contact" it is still a wild animal, and if you go in on feeding day, and the snake decides to take a chunk out of your face/arm/whatever. It is going too. If you don't have someone with experience with large snakes to help you out, get rid of it and get a different kind of python, one that, no matter how big it gets, it is still a one person snake. Sorry for the rant but people who can't take care of a big snake shouldn't have em, they're already trying to ban these snakes, the last thing we need is more people without a clue of what they're doing having a big snake.
    Sorry for the sharp response, but like other people have touch on. A few people in this hobby who made a "mistake" and didn't know exactlly what they where getting themselves into has had far reaching effects on everybody. I made 20+ phone calls to congressmen/women do try and keep them from banning YOUR burm/rock. I don't own one, but we are all in this togeather. That is why you are getting some sharp responses. We are here to help you out, but we also have to make you realize what you are getting in too.
    Last edited by coolluigi007; 08-04-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Opps
    Coolluigi007
    0.1 Pastel Pos Het Orange Ghost, 2.1 Pastel, 1.0 Mojave Pos Het Orange Ghost, 3.0 Yellowbelly, 1.0 100 % Het Pied, 0.8 50% Het Pied, 3.10 Normal, 0.2 100% Het Orange Ghost, 0.2 Spider, 1.2 100% Het VPI Axanthic... and soon to be more. *fingers crossed*

Thanks

BTW, sorry for being a ass. It's not directed at you, I just had to vent. Wish you the best of luck.
    Coolluigi007
    0.1 Pastel Pos Het Orange Ghost, 2.1 Pastel, 1.0 Mojave Pos Het Orange Ghost, 3.0 Yellowbelly, 1.0 100 % Het Pied, 0.8 50% Het Pied, 3.10 Normal, 0.2 100% Het Orange Ghost, 0.2 Spider, 1.2 100% Het VPI Axanthic... and soon to be more. *fingers crossed*

Thanks

I would like to think im a smart guy. I understand the dangers of owning a big snake. If this snake turns out to be something that i cant handle then me and the guy i got it from made arrangements to return it to him in trade for a smaller snake. To be honest thats what im leaning towards doing. Im a very responsible owner of all animals. I know how it is to own a animal that people think is aggressive and needs to be outlawed.

Bottom line is that im taking it day by day. If i find that i cant handle it, then it will go back to the previous owner who has no problem keeping it until the day it dies.

I understand how you guys feel, because i get the same way when people come onto the Pitbull forum and act stupid and naive. But what i try to do is educated them without being condesending or combative
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 RTB
    1.0 Burmese

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast