Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

0 members and 3,212 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What have i gotten myself into

I have absolute zero experience with any large snakes so take the advice of those that that do, especially having a helper. One thing I have read alot of though is that the larger pythons are "typically" always in feed mode when coming out of their cage, then settle right down once out if they are in fact a fairly non aggressive induvidual. Once that thing hits 16' or more it will be massively strong.
    0.1 - Normal - 4 Months? Old
    0.1 - Mojave Hatchling

Thanks

First mistake was starting with an 8 foot snake. Its best to start with a hatchling and working your way to raise it up. That way you and the snake get to know each other. And you relize your limits with it.

Second I doubt its a burm/rock theres only been a handleful produced and last time I saw them for sale they were insanly expensive. Rocks have a really bad rep but Ive seen many rocks that were just as nice as any other large snake.

Good luck with whatever you do just be careful. If you feel you can not handle the animal please find a responsible keeper that is ready to take on a large constrictor

Thanks

I have a 6ft tiger retic he is a sweet baby but i still don't get him out by my self my husband is always there what ever you do if you don't think you can handle him Plz,Plz,Plz get him to some one who can and don't turn him loose in the wild. Good Luck

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

As Coolio Tiffany already stated you should have started off with a hatchling but thats not the case so there are a few things you can do. If you don't have a hook-get one. Everytime you go to get him out of the cage tap him lightly on the head then gently pull him over to the door of the cage with the hook and slowly take him out (take your time and don't make any quick movements)-over time he should begin to realize that the tap on the head means its time to come out. I know you said you have the proper husbandry but recheck his temps and make sure he's not to hot. You can cover his tank with a blanket but you can also try and cover half of the window with that blue painters tape so it will block off half the cage and give him a better sense of security (don't cover the whole thing then you won't be able to see him) or you can get him a hide-big cardboard boxes work well until they get on top of them and crush it. And as everyone else has already stated-have another person present when you handle him.

Thanks

Io have some Pictures. I'm on my iPhone at the moment. I'll upload them when I get home. I have a hook already but I think I might need another one that's a little bit bigger. I think I might go ahead and trade it out for the smaller Burmese.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 RTB
    1.0 Burmese

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Of course it is a well known fact that snakes only bite on the hands. Therefore your wearing gloves will completely protect you from any bite by a snake you know basically nothing about.

Sounds good.

I have no doubt we'll be seeing news reports in no time, doubtless with headlines something akin to: New Snake Owner Strangled by Pet Python quickly followed by, No one can understand how it happened, he was wearing gloves.....
    I don't know who you are but that's a really crappy thing to say. Yes I might be over my head but I'm attempting to see if I can find out a solution. I would prefer to keep the snake. Getting rid of it will be my very last resort. If you can help me out with advice I would prefer that you stay out of my threads. Your waisting bandwith and time with your iggnorant post. To everyone else. Thank you so far for your help
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 RTB
    1.0 Burmese

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by echs332000 View Post
    I don't know who you are but that's a really crappy thing to say. Yes I might be over my head but I'm attempting to see if I can find out a solution. I would prefer to keep the snake. Getting rid of it will be my very last resort. If you can help me out with advice I would prefer that you stay out of my threads. Your waisting bandwith and time with your iggnorant post. To everyone else. Thank you so far for your help
    wilomn's post may of came off harsh but it is %100 correct. He is telling it how it is and it is hard for people to take it in but its the harsh reality. Nobody has any business having a giant if they are not %150 ready for one and have prior experience with one.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't own any giants but I hope I can give some grounded general advice.

First take a step back and look at why your wanting a "Big" snake. I think that if you have the ability and space to properly house and care for the animal good. Is it because you just want a "big" snake or do you really enjoy the species. If its the first reason get rid of it! Its a danger to the snake first hand foremost then you and others when kept for that reason. If you really enjoy the species start with a hatchling not a 6'-8' animal people that buy those size animals are one of two people (people that are or were giant owners or people that only want a "big" snake and don't wont to "wait 3 years for it to get that big). Just remember that Zoo's and pet stores do not take 15'+ snakes cause you can no longer feed and house it.

Second while your husbandry may be spot on are all of its requirements being met? Security is a big factor with all snakes. make sure that your offering it an environment that is both secure and keeper friendly.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by echs332000 View Post
    IF your snake kills you because you made a mistake it WILL affect not only my, but everyone else who does it right, ability to keep them.

If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

I don't care who you are, what you do, about you at all. I do care though, that by your ignorance and desire for self gratification, that you are making a mistake that will not have negative effects only on you.

Get a baby. Better yet, get a boa. Better yet, do some serious research.

Then, fill that chip on your shoulder in and become a productive member of the snake keeping community.

Remember your gloves though, they do guarentee your safety.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AaronP (08-10-2009),Buttons (08-04-2009),coolluigi007 (08-04-2009),Denial (08-04-2009),dreese88 (08-10-2009),FlowRock (08-04-2009),Freddiesinmyseat (08-05-2009),lepidunce (10-05-2009),monk90222 (08-11-2009),Ophidian Obsessed (11-18-2009),Paradox (08-05-2009),Patrick Long (08-05-2009),PrioBull (08-05-2009),ScottyBoa (11-25-2009),VegaBP (08-04-2009),Zach (11-24-2009)

Thanks

Before people get a giant python, they should handle a really pissed off 8 foot boa. Then, just imagine something that is at least twice the length and 5 times heavier, then decide if you still want a giant.

Robin
    H2 Exotics

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast