Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

2 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: I have baby bettas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    Are you going to try breeding them again later? You should post pics of them. I'd love to see what they look like.
    Well i am trying to find a tank to get setup to give it a try again.I bought one yesterday and it was missing the filter and everything(stupid walmart) .I dont have a camera right now sorry .Now dad is red with blue hints and mom is whiteish body with red fins.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Sounds like a really pretty couple. I had some interesting bettas a few years ago. My first male was a red crowntail with only a small dot of blue on one of his fins. He was beautiful! His name was Jolly Rodger. Next came Captain Morgan, who was a greyish color, with clear fins with red tips. Very interesting veiltail. I also had a dusty red female and a deep blue (we are talking deep deep blue) female. The blue female was a crowntail. I was hoping to breed them but I had to find them new homes.

On a side note I think it should be a requirement for joining for every member to have a camera.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Sounds like a really pretty couple. I had some interesting bettas a few years ago. My first male was a red crowntail with only a small dot of blue on one of his fins. He was beautiful! His name was Jolly Rodger. Next came Captain Morgan, who was a greyish color, with clear fins with red tips. Very interesting veiltail. I also had a dusty red female and a deep blue (we are talking deep deep blue) female. The blue female was a crowntail. I was hoping to breed them but I had to find them new homes.

On a side note I think it should be a requirement for joining for every member to have a camera.
    Wow they sound like they were sweet looking .Umm i am still waiting for pics of your new ferret young lady
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Hahaha, I found my camera and will be taking pictures in just a few minutes. Don't you worry.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jay_bunny View Post
    hahaha, i found my camera and will be taking pictures in just a few minutes. Don't you worry. :d
    lol :p
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Sorry about the babies.

Thanks

Pics posted!

You will have to keep us updated on the next attempt. Actually, betta fish don't really need a filter during breeding that I'm aware of. A tank with no gravel or substrate of any kind, and an almond leaf. This leaf conditions the water and provides somewhere for the male to make his bubble nest. You can add the filter later (with a very very fine sponge attached to the end!) but make sure the bottom of the tank is bare.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose View Post
    Sorry about the babies.
    Thanks! It happens
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Pics posted!

You will have to keep us updated on the next attempt. Actually, betta fish don't really need a filter during breeding that I'm aware of. A tank with no gravel or substrate of any kind, and an almond leaf. This leaf conditions the water and provides somewhere for the male to make his bubble nest. You can add the filter later (with a very very fine sponge attached to the end!) but make sure the bottom of the tank is bare.
    Yea i replied .Well for the price of the kit i wanted everything that was supposed to be there lol
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I started breeding anabantoids this winter, and it was definantly a nice branch away from cichlids.
    I can lend you a few helping hint though. From what I have learned (trial and error) and what other breeders have told me, it is easiest just to let them breed in a rubbermade tub. Sounds cookey, but I have done so in the past with dwarf gouramis. The key is no filtration to disturb the water, some say that a heater is unnecessary, and something for the male to make a nest in. The nest can be live anacharis, a styrofoam cup, or a fake plant. I like to use a fake plastic plant that looks like hornwort. You want to keep the lid of the tub on it. It helps them grow the labyrinth organ.
    It is also a good idea to keep the male and female seperate while conditioning them. You will want to put the female into the breeding tank first, put in a divider, then add the male. If all goes well in a few days you can take out the divider and there will be chemistry.
    Just make sure to take out the female after eggs are laid, and then the father after they hatch. You will want to check that with a flashlight. The fry are very very tiny.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345