Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

0 members and 3,221 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Deadliest hot commonly found in captivity?

Quote Originally Posted by MKHerps View Post
    maybe the cape cobra. When you say commonly found it throughs a loop in the question. It depends on who you ask as to what they think is common. I have friends who have it all. But each friend including myself have our likes and that is what is in our collections plus a little more. Crotulus dissurus is pretty hot, some of your cobras(pretty common), Bothrops aspers pretty hot, but really you pick an elapid that isnt pretty hot.
    Coral Cobra (Aspidelaps) comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHerps View Post
    check the LD50 chart. Then pick the snake with the lowest number that you think is most common in captivity, and that is your answer.
    LD50 is a useful tool, but it's used on mice... they can react drastically differently to venom than human beings. To get real accurate LD50, they're gonna have to do it on people, but that would be pretty sick...

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    My guess would be Green Mojave Rattlesnakes (think that's what they are called from watching a tv show a while ago.. they also said it is the deadliest rattlesnake of them all)? Though, wouldn't green and mojave pretty much be similar?
    Yep, Mojave Rattlesnakes (Crotalus scutulatus) are no snakes to mess with. To say they're the most toxic though, I don't think anybody knows for sure. The Neotropical Rattlesnake (C. durissus) is also quite toxic, as is the Tiger Rattlesnake (C. tigris).

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    Cobras are pretty popular. Copperheads and diamondbacks are usually what most people start out with and then work up to the more exotic types. Rhinos and gaboons are very popular and I dont think people respect gaboons as much as they should you see alot of people free handle them because they say there slow and sluggish and are not quick to strike but that doesnt mean its not going to strike. I think any exotic hot that your local er does not have anti venom for is pretty deadly. And like stated above everyones bodys react differently to venom if you are allergic to it then its going to be alot worse. Plus you have some people that are allerigic to the anti venom.
    Danny, I saw a show once where some dumbass got bit twice by a gaboon in a year. You're right, they may seem sluggish, but don't be fooled.

Later, Matt
    Last edited by DutchHerp; 08-03-2009 at 12:52 AM.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Cobras are pretty popular. Copperheads and diamondbacks are usually what most people start out with and then work up to the more exotic types. Rhinos and gaboons are very popular and I dont think people respect gaboons as much as they should you see alot of people free handle them because they say there slow and sluggish and are not quick to strike but that doesnt mean its not going to strike. I think any exotic hot that your local er does not have anti venom for is pretty deadly. And like stated above everyones bodys react differently to venom if you are allergic to it then its going to be alot worse. Plus you have some people that are allerigic to the anti venom.
    I've seen pictures of people holding a hatchling gaboon (bare handed) up next to their cheek while smiling for the camera. People like that deserve the bite they're going to get, but you know it's the snakes and responsible keepers who get the bad rep for things like that...

And...wouldn't the danger level of a species more accurately be measured not by the deadliness of the venom but the frequency of bite incidents? Like already mentioned, some people react differently to venom. I think given enough time, most bites would cause death, correct? Which species most commonly envenomates humans in captivity?

I don't keep hots, and don't want them, but this is an interesting topic!
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

i think the danger level is very important.. the more likely the snake is to bite the more dangerous it is. puff adders come to mine i have 3 adults and one large female is pretty laid back but the male is very jumpy and the other female always tries to bite.

free handling is stupid, sure people can get away with it but the time will come when they dont.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know that I could pick one snake that I would think is the deadliest hot. I mean When your talking the different toxins in the venom you should really divide the animals in to three categories Hemotoxic, Nerotoxic and the combination of the two. Cause while a bite from a small P. Mac. May not kill you it will do the same tissue damage as a say a big Rattler bite that might kill you..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I take it you never personally observed a gaboon viper or a rhino eat before. They do not move until the rat is in the zone for a kill. Then the snake strikes very quickly.........too fast to respond or react. After huge amounts of venom are pumped though those huge fangs, the fangs manipulate the dead meal further into it's mouth. Amazing animals that should not be handled by inexperienced keepers.

Thanks

I would go not only based on venom but on quickness of strike, temperment, and overall speed of snake. I bet most bites happen from snakes that are not as toxic as others but happen due to a lack of respect or getting to comfortable with them. Most that handle a black mamba are going to be on guard the whole time based on the reputation and agression alone, its that lazy, slow moving gaboon thats gonna get you when you take to many risks.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12