Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

2 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Who RFID chips there snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by k2l3d4 View Post
    Out of curiousity,... why would someone chip a snake? I can understand cats and dogs since they can run away and then be returned,... but how far is a snake going to run?
    A high end breeder with thousands of $$ worth of snakes would in case of thieft. I maybee wrong but I do belive that Bob Clark's first imported male Albino ( and many other snakes ) was stolen and thats how he got some of his colection back.
    MIKE

This space for rent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k2l3d4 View Post
    Out of curiousity,... why would someone chip a snake? I can understand cats and dogs since they can run away and then be returned,... but how far is a snake going to run?
    These are just ID chips, not transmitters so you would have no way of locating them with the chip. The chip would contain information such as the breeder and said morph information. This would be very useful for hets as stated. No risk of getting them mixed up with normals or other hets, no need to worry about buy a snake from someone that has lost paperwork, etc...
    0.1 - Normal - 4 Months? Old
    0.1 - Mojave Hatchling

Thanks

Chipping wouldn't be so bad. I wouldn't really want to do it, but it seems like a good idea because what if your snake gets loose? You won't have to tear up your entire home just to find it. So, chipping would be helpful for that. But other than that, I don't see why someone would want their snake to get chipped.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Chipping wouldn't be so bad. I wouldn't really want to do it, but it seems like a good idea because what if your snake gets loose? You won't have to tear up your entire home just to find it. So, chipping would be helpful for that. But other than that, I don't see why someone would want their snake to get chipped.
    These small passive RFID tags will not help you locate a snake, only read information from the tag at very close proximity. The only way to track one would be with a larger active RFID tag, a transmitter.
    0.1 - Normal - 4 Months? Old
    0.1 - Mojave Hatchling

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Chipping is good for the following:

Identification of animals whose paperwork has been lost or is unavailable.

Identification of stolen animals

Identification of found stray animals
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DustinB View Post
    These small passive RFID tags will not help you locate a snake, only read information from the tag at very close proximity. The only way to track one would be with a larger active RFID tag, a transmitter.
    No but when you find someone with "your" snake. its a he said she said. even pics are not that reliable. If you scan the other guys snake and your name pops up. your covered

I am more worried about tracking my normal females and my hets than anything

Thanks

I like to get all my hets and visible snakes chipped. It wold help with tracking if stolen and sold else were,it make trcking the records easier if you have ot pull out in a hurry ( not got ot worry if you get the snakes mixed upon the hets. ) PLus it will help deter people from stealng if the knowledge is they are chipped and all.

I think that should be a requirement for any snake that can get over a set size escape in a high pop area.It also can be usedfull with permits. snce the chip id code can be placed on the permit ( like a lic number)
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mechnut450 For This Useful Post:

hoax (08-10-2009)

Thanks

I am not terribly worried about identification, I can take a picture, since patterns vary so much in a lot of snakes, I have considered it more for the theft issue.
    I have my dogs chipped for that reason also, My sheltie will run up to anybody and given her unusual color she could be an easy target. Her father was stolen once and given how far away he was found, he couldn't have ran away, we believe the thieves dumped him when they found the tattoo he had. So if people know your snakes are chipped they will be less tempted to steal them.

Thanks

I think chips are a great idea with any pet thats big enough to have one. Anything can happen to paper work and photos. The only down fall is that they only work if someone finds and or turns in you pet to be scanned, if its lost or stolen. If its found (or stolen) and they decide to keep it, give it away or sell it you're pretty much s.o.l. Even if its relocated some time down the road and scanned most people give up and or just don't remember to update the info on the chip. Which is why I think there should also be GPS Chips. I know they have collars for cats and dogs but even those can be lost and or removed . These days we can track cars, cell phones, laptops and what not,..why not our pets.

Thanks

there is no where near a small enough gps tracker for snakes. plus no way to charge it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast