Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,643

1 members and 2,642 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Snake didn't eat... What do I do with the live rat pup?

This thread is hilarious......... I love it. How can anyone be so passoinate about a rats life when we go to the store and pick it out to die....... They stink, if I ever had a snake that wouldnt take pre killed and turned down a live offering...... Well, Id feed it to my boa cuz he is a garbage dispenser..... But for reals, something would have to happen cuz it would not be stinking up my place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STEW View Post
    This thread is hilarious......... I love it. How can anyone be so passoinate about a rats life when we go to the store and pick it out to die....... They stink, if I ever had a snake that wouldnt take pre killed and turned down a live offering...... Well, Id feed it to my boa cuz he is a garbage dispenser..... But for reals, something would have to happen cuz it would not be stinking up my place.
    And that's just fine. However, it is a living, breathing creature whose life shoud be respected and should not have to suffer an inhumane death. If your Boa eats it instead of the Python, great. That's nature. Sticking in the freezer to die a painful death is irresponsible. In this case, the OP was not aware.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muze For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-30-2009),cobweb2000 (07-30-2009),Ginevive (07-31-2009),littleindiangirl (08-04-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STEW View Post
    I just wanted to add that given an opportunity to get away from their own feces and urine, rats do not stink. If you are having an issue with your feeders having a strong odor of waste, either yours or your supplier's husbandry should be evaluated.

Thanks

I've never seen a bunch of snake keepers so up in arms about the life and/or well-being of a rat.

OP-you should get a monitor. It'd fix this problem of yours right up.
    ~~Koma~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kom@tose View Post
    I've never seen a bunch of snake keepers so up in arms about the life and/or well-being of a rat.

OP-you should get a monitor. It'd fix this problem of yours right up.
    I think you are missing our point. Whatever the reptile does with its prey is nature. However, if I decide to rip up a rat into little pieces myself while it was alive, would that be ok with you?

This is part of the reason that reptile keepers have a bad reputation amongst non-reptile keepers. One of the misconceptions is that we enjoy watching little fuzzy creatures suffer. I don't care if a keeper feeds live or F/T. All I expect is that the prey animal not suffer unnecessarily.
    Last edited by Muze; 07-30-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Corrected a word.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muze For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-30-2009),littleindiangirl (08-04-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kom@tose View Post

This is a silly post. Really. Have a little respect for the animal that gives up it's life so your snake can live and thrive.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jglass38 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-30-2009),littleindiangirl (08-04-2009),Muze (07-30-2009)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abuja View Post
    I disagree, because that mouse's life span is about 2 years anyways. I understand where you're coming from, but we don't have dry ice, nor the will to care for it until my snake had shed, so the MOST humane thing to do was actually release him! Yeah, he was probably killed, but he would have been anyways! The venom from another snake or a bite from a wild animal killed it quicker than a ball python's constriction would have.
    You mean the most irresponsible thing to do was to release him.

Aside from not being humane to a captive animal do you realize that snake owners already have a bad reputation and that what you are doing does nothing more then add to this reputation in a negative way?

Do everyone a favor be prepared next time around, if your snake does not eat the prey you are offering either euthanize the prey humanely, have an enclosure ready or return it to the store.

Learn to be a responsible keeper.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-30-2009),jglass38 (07-30-2009),littleindiangirl (08-04-2009),mrshawt (07-30-2009),Muze (07-30-2009),rabernet (07-31-2009)

Thanks

To keep myself from dumping a whole tank a fuel on this fire, I will just let it go.........

Rats do stink though, they poop about every 10 seconds and keeping them away from that is almost entirely impossible........ I could probably build them a little fenced in enclosure in my back yard with slides and swimming pools.... It would be so nice for them prior to death. I bet they would love me for it.

Thanks

Wow. That's all that I can say, in reading this thread. I sincerely hope that, if any non-herp people are reading this.. that you understand, that us snake keepers with scruples do not condone freezing baby mammals to death.. or releasing livestock (which is what feeder rats/mice really are..) out into the wild because we are too lazy and irresponsible to either look after them, humanely euthanize them, or return them to the store from which they came. Enough said; if I go on, I will either be preaching to the choir of other humane feeders, or talking to brick walls.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ginevive For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (08-04-2009)

Thanks

I'm sorry. I'm the most stubborn person and I just got the nerve to say that. I should've researched more or taken it back rather than tossing it outside. I don't want more and more people getting upset with each other because of a fellow herper's mistake.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast