Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

4 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Snake didn't eat... What do I do with the live rat pup?

Quote Originally Posted by BLong7211 View Post
    No offense taken! And I was not pointing my last post to you in anyway! I would have done what I had to do myself! It was for the other ppl that assume what I meant! As long as you knew that was all I cared about! So I hope all goes well for you and the lil snakey! LOL Enjoy it they are fun to keep!
    Thanks. I feel terrible, but I guess I had to learn in some way. And I know probly lots of people on here think I'm irresponsible for doing what I did, but like I said I had no other resources. From now on, we will definitely be prepared in what I have to do, and hopefully this little snake will get on board with us. And I checked his website, turns out he gave me a weanling when I asked for a pup... I hate being new at things.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STEW View Post
    Did you at least kill it first? I woulda............
    Im not going to criticize you either way because I view feeder rats as objects rather than living creatures or I wouldnt be able to kill them..... If your snake does end up eating it once its thawed out then you should just buy frozen feeders, they are cheaper. I never even took into account what Dr. Del posted even though I think it would be pretty hard to get caught up in that legal issue....... Im going to buy a frozen one and see what my snake does with it. It would be easier to have a bulk load in the freezer than having to go to the pet store every week.... Now if I can just get my Chameleon to eat the crickets in a can, talk about a hard animal to get to eat pre killed prey items........
    We didn't know the about the head-n-tail thing, unfortunately I turned off my comp by the time someone had replied with that. I'm hoping she'll eat this f/t rat pup in a week, if she does then cool, if she doesn't then I'll be making my own little gas chamber. I really thought the feeding part would be alot easier...
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I am in no way going to criticize you for what you did. I am also not saying that I agree with the way you handled the live rat pup. Just be prepared in the future that if your snake only chooses to eat live that you need to be prepared to keep a live animal. I'm sure your snake would have eventually eaten the rat pup. I always have an enclosure and extra food on hand just in case my snake decides to skip a feeding, which he frequently does. I just keep the rat or mouse alive for his next feeding. All animals deserve to be treated with repsect, even the live feeders that our snakes eat.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elise.m View Post
    We didn't know the about the head-n-tail thing, unfortunately I turned off my comp by the time someone had replied with that. I'm hoping she'll eat this f/t rat pup in a week, if she does then cool, if she doesn't then I'll be making my own little gas chamber. I really thought the feeding part would be alot easier...
    Here are some resources for ya:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=33850
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=55509

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrshawt For This Useful Post:

Elise.m (07-29-2009)

Thanks

The dry ice chamber is exactly what I was planning on doing in the near future. I've read over that forums before and thought it looked easy and humane. I was actually at a store that sold dry ice yesterday before the feeding happened... I should have picked some up just in case. Oh well, hind sight is always 20/20.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

Im just gonna stick with you shouldve left it in there. You never know what your hatchling is going to do once you go to bed and everything has shut down for the night. Now youre gonna have to figure out how to get your little one to eat F/T or P/K. usually best to get a steady live schedule going before you start dealing with refusals at feedings. good luck no matter what.
    ]

Thanks

you could always buy a boa

Thanks

With my uneaten mouse (my snake went into shed), I just threw it outside. Success!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abuja View Post
    With my uneaten mouse (my snake went into shed), I just threw it outside. Success!
    ...A live mouse?

Thanks

Just got off the phone with the breeder. He said the snake has only eaten twice, and they do not keep records. She was born early this month. She last ate on Thursday, which I didn't know the last day she ate, so now I'm not worried as to why she didn't eat. Just in case anyone wanted an update
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast