Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

0 members and 3,125 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Snake didn't eat... What do I do with the live rat pup?

It worries me that the breeder said they have too many babies to keep track of when everyone eats. I know personally that there are great breeders who keep thousands of snakes, and they have cards on the front of the snakes tubs, which they can add info about eating, shedding, all that stuff. I dont think that its a good excuse to say you have too many to keep track, because thats part of breeding snakes is taking proper care of them. Good luck getting this one to eat...
    ~Alli

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aaramire For This Useful Post:

Elise.m (07-29-2009)

Thanks

Its irresponsible for them to not keep a feeding log. A piece of paper only takes a couple seconds to put a few check marks on. When a snake is sold, the feeding log should be given to the customer with the snake. There is no excuse for a breeder not doing this.
    Its not really possible for you to tell if you have a picky snake yet. From your story, I've gathered that she is still very young and is still scared of humans. This being the case I'm sure she is stressed out from being moved and handled, so I doubt she would want to eat after only 2-3 days. Wait a full week, then try to feed her the thawed rat pup again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to knott00 For This Useful Post:

Elise.m (07-29-2009)

Thanks

Yeah, it worries me too, and that's why I'm gonna call him and ask again. I just looked him up on Fauna and everyone has posted good reviews about him... I'm just worried I may have gotten a snake at a time where he was too busy to pay attention to it. He did say she's eaten, but didn't go further than that. No shedding records either.

In his defense, they are hatching alot of babies atm. And I believe he only has 3 other people helping him out. So it might be something that just slipped, hopefully when I call him (He opens at 11:00am pst) He'll be able to give me a little more information about this cutie.
    Last edited by Elise.m; 07-29-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

What ever happened to the rat pup? I sincerely hope that you did not just let it starve to death. Starvation has to be one of the worst ways to die, imo.. It can't be legal and humane to do that. I cannot imagine someone letting a puppy or ktiten starve todeath.. and I don't see how it would be any less cruel to let a rat pup do the same. Gas it.. freezing a mammal is not a humane method of euthanization.

Everyone who feeds live, should either know how to, and be prepared to, feed and care for live prey that is refused.. or be equipped to humanely euthanize the prey animal if the snake refuses. Just my 0.02.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ginevive For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-30-2009),littleindiangirl (07-29-2009),Muze (07-29-2009),Patricia (08-01-2009)

Thanks

Unfortunately I had no other option but to freeze it. I didn't have anything to gas it with. Yes, I feel terrible for doing it, and no, I do not need to be criticized over it. This was my first live feeding ever, I wasn't totally prepared, I thought she would be hungry since like I said in one my previous posts, she looks kinds thin. It's a part of life, I had to make due with what I had.

For the record though: My BF and I plan on doing pre-killed in the future from now on.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

And Just an FYI when I told you to freeze it I didn't mean to throw it in alive as others have interpreted! I left the uthanizing part out for you to use at your descretion!!! Alot of ppl choose to do it in different ways so I just left it out on purpose! I hoped you were knowledgable enough to know not to throw a live rat in the freezer. Just figured I would throw that out there!

Thanks

And this is why I left out what happened to the rat pup... Look, I already said I do not need to be critized over this. End of story. I did what I had to do. I don't feel good about it, and neither does my BF. We made a mistake, we learned from it, and we learned what to do in the future. Btw Blong, we didn't freeze it just on your suggestion, so don't take offense.

The morale: I learned my lesson, move on please, nothing to see.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

Don't worry, I've frozen live pinkies before.
    www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
    myspace.com/aztekvamp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elise.m View Post
    And this is why I left out what happened to the rat pup... Look, I already said I do not need to be critized over this. End of story. I did what I had to do. I don't feel good about it, and neither does my BF. We made a mistake, we learned from it, and we learned what to do in the future. Btw Blong, we didn't freeze it just on your suggestion, so don't take offense.

The morale: I learned my lesson, move on please, nothing to see.
    No offense taken! And I was not pointing my last post to you in anyway! I would have done what I had to do myself! It was for the other ppl that assume what I meant! As long as you knew that was all I cared about! So I hope all goes well for you and the lil snakey! LOL Enjoy it they are fun to keep!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BAD Morphs For This Useful Post:

Elise.m (07-29-2009)

Thanks

Did you at least kill it first? I woulda............
    Im not going to criticize you either way because I view feeder rats as objects rather than living creatures or I wouldnt be able to kill them..... If your snake does end up eating it once its thawed out then you should just buy frozen feeders, they are cheaper. I never even took into account what Dr. Del posted even though I think it would be pretty hard to get caught up in that legal issue....... Im going to buy a frozen one and see what my snake does with it. It would be easier to have a bulk load in the freezer than having to go to the pet store every week.... Now if I can just get my Chameleon to eat the crickets in a can, talk about a hard animal to get to eat pre killed prey items........

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast