Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

0 members and 3,180 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Python Rope A Dope

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    Do you really think if they ban importing burms it will stop at burms?
    No, but I also know that even if they stopped allowing the import of all snakes we have no shortage of any species in the pet trade. We certainly wouldn't run out of burms or anything else.

Thanks

once you give up one species, another one will be next.

no legislation. no permits. permits equal legislation that affects your freedoms and liberties as an US citizen.

I have said it for several months. I am rooting for the burmese python.

if the government is so concerned about invasive species, it can start by looking in the mirror.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redpython For This Useful Post:

aaramire (07-28-2009),Aneesa's Muse (07-28-2009),Denial (07-28-2009),Sam Bearden (07-28-2009),southerncat (07-28-2009),Vypyrz (07-28-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redpython View Post
    once you give up one species, another one will be next.

no legislation. no permits. permits equal legislation that affects your freedoms and liberties as an US citizen.

I have said it for several months. I am rooting for the burmese python.

if the government is so concerned about invasive species, it can start by looking in the mirror.
    Technically burms aren't even considered invasive species by definition. The term is being misused by environmentalists because it sounds better for them. VPI's article does a good job at clearing up a lot of the misunderstandings from the media-driven campaign against burms in the Everglades. I suggest everyone read and spread it.

http://vpi.com/sites/vpi.com/files/O...compressed.pdf

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Russ Lawson For This Useful Post:

Aneesa's Muse (07-28-2009),bsd13 (07-28-2009),Denial (07-28-2009),Mendel's Balls (07-28-2009),Sam Bearden (07-28-2009),southerncat (07-28-2009),West Coast Jungle (07-28-2009)

Thanks

I really hope and pray that this bill will be dropped , however I feel that would take a miracle. Realisticly, I feel atleast the import of burms will be banned. Now, regarding usark....there doing the best they can, and comprimising is the best strategy. To simply fight for nothing to be banned would be suicide for our cause becuse with politicians, if you dont meet them half way they will simply do as they please. Often you must sacrifice a little for a lot when it comes to practically everything in life. The import of burms will hurt the trade, but not kill it.

So, my overall thought is usark is being realistic with whats going on and they have more experince with politics then any of us. With that said, I hope the bill just dies.

p.s. the whole " if they ban burms they will eventually ban all pythons, and even otheir snakes" is nothing more then hersey. Where is the proof? thats like saying since california has practically banned pit bulls that all dogs will be banned. Honestly I think its just anger and fear coming together to make hysteria.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derrick13 For This Useful Post:

Hulihzack (07-28-2009),LaFilleClochette (07-28-2009)

Thanks

its not fear just anger of being sold out

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denial For This Useful Post:

Aneesa's Muse (07-28-2009),southerncat (07-28-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

You have to remember that these are politicians and the only "best interest" they have at heart is their own. This is how they keep their jobs. They know most of their voters don't keep reptiles, so they cause a small scale panic based on an over-inflated, media created problem, then they can pass a law and "save the day." Then during the next election they will brag and highlight how they defeated the dreaded Pythonzilla, yet they will say nothing about how they raised taxes on the middle class working American, unemplyment exceeded 20%, and how they spent several more trillions of dollars we don't have, and sent more companies packing and heading overseas. It's basically a smokescreen to hide the fact that they can't solve real problems and issues. And in closing, remember: There is no such thing as a honest politician, only those who haven't been caught yet. Politicians, by their very nature, are bovine feces artists who have bovine fecalled their way to the top...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Hulihzack (07-28-2009),zatoichi (07-28-2009)

Thanks

I think there is a big issue on this forum about the lack of respect and concern for keepers of large snakes and the snakes themselves. Just because you do not keep a burm or a retic or a conda or something else does not mean that others don't keep and love them dearly. If this ban was on the importation of ball pythons, everyone here would be singing a much different tune. Do not throw other keepers and other species under the bus, because when you are in trouble and looking to others for support, what do you think will happen?
    ~Alli

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaramire For This Useful Post:

Aneesa's Muse (07-28-2009),Denial (07-28-2009),Sam Bearden (07-28-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaramire View Post
    I think there is a big issue on this forum about the lack of respect and concern for keepers of large snakes and the snakes themselves. Just because you do not keep a burm or a retic or a conda or something else does not mean that others don't keep and love them dearly. If this ban was on the importation of ball pythons, everyone here would be singing a much different tune. Do not throw other keepers and other species under the bus, because when you are in trouble and looking to others for support, what do you think will happen?
    I don't own a python of any species and I've called my rep. multiple times, I'd like to think I'm not the only one too, but maybe you're right. But then I wonder how much the burm industry relies on imported animals compared to captive bred animals. I know the pet store I work at very rarely gets them and they're never imported.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulihzack View Post
    I don't own a python of any species and I've called my rep. multiple times, I'd like to think I'm not the only one too, but maybe you're right. But then I wonder how much the burm industry relies on imported animals compared to captive bred animals. I know the pet store I work at very rarely gets them and they're never imported.
    I think that's actually the reason that USARK decided to support a ban on only the import of Burmese Pythons. This would mitigate the damage this bill would cause with minimal reprocussions for the reptile industry. However, the only way I would support a ban on the import of burms would be if it was only wild-caught Python molurus bivittatus, and excluded dwarf burmese pythons, and maybe possible new mutations (though it is unlikely there could be a provision for the new mutations). Captive bred burms from Europe and other countries with breeding projects should be fair game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

I admit that I don't know much about Burms, so I was doing a little research. According to National Geographic, the Burmese Python is listed as "Threatened". Now isn't this just one step above "endangered". So with these legal python hunts in florida, the politicians are technically pushing the species one step closer to extinction, which is not suprising. "Save the Whales" "Save the Panda" "Save the Tigers" but it's ok to eradicate a snake. why not try to eradicate mosquitos. They kill more people worldwide from Malaria than Burms do. I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir. Just ranting, that's all...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Aneesa's Muse (07-28-2009)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast