Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

0 members and 3,155 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Connecticut offers Amnesty Day for illegal owners

I found this while reading some news. Thought you guys may want to see it

http://news.aol.com/article/connecti...ce-to%2F588500
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Dont argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference

Thanks

Re: Connecticut offers Amnesty Day for illegal owners

I saw that story on a different website and it had one of the officers holding an alligator with that same snake in the back ground. I'm kind of on the fence about the idea.

I think its a great idea to have some where for people to turn in their unwanted and / or illegal pets with no questions asked. But at the same time I think it might encourage more irresponsible impulse buying from consumers. Which I call the "Buy now, throw away later " mentality. It happens all the time people buy pets and get rid of them by any means necessary for reasons as little as,...I remodeled my living room and it no longer matches the furniture. Which actually happened to a dog brought in to our hospital and the owner wanted to put it down.

So,...I see it as a positive and a negative. If it becomes a regular event people can just wait for amnesty day.

Thanks

Eh...I kinda feel like you'll run into that mentality even without an amnesty day. People buy animals and throw them away all the time, they dont need encouragement to do it. If they dont have somewhere to take them, they may even just release them in their back yards. I wonder what the people who are getting these 'toss-outs' are doing with them though. Euthing or finding people in other states to take them or what.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Dont argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

They throw away the animals anyway. None of them will think.. "Oh gee, unless there's an amnesty day for me to turn in my pet, I'll just have to keep it and care for it properly.." They'll take them to pounds, to rescues, give them away, kill them, or turn them loose outside. This is really just a safe haven for the PETS, even if they get euthanized(most exotics probably will), it's better than a slow death outside, or starving because the owner just doesn't care anymore.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Mendel's Balls (07-26-2009)