Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

1 members and 3,179 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAYPAL fees...

Thanks

Re: PAYPAL fees...

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    True enough Wes. Paypal has always been a little shady and suspect when it comes to dispute resolution. The problem is that they are the only game in town (right now). They are the most accepted for online payments. I need to look at Google Checkout since I saw some people mentioned it. I certainly don't want to set up a CC merchant account and don't want to have people sending me checks and money orders. I would rather eat some cost if it gets the buyer to pay instantly with Paypal and let me move on with my life.
    As a small time breeder/hobbyist cc machine seems like an unlikely acquisition. And personal checks and money orders I don't understand as long as you allow time for the checks to clear before releasing the snake.

BPs Currently 23 total
    1.6.0 Normals, 1.0.0 66% poss het pied, 2.5.0 Yellow Belly, 1.0.0 Blonde Pastel, 1.0.0 Mojave, 0.1.0 Lemon Blast, 1.0.0 Albino, 0.1.0 100% het albino, 1.0.0 Spider, 1.1.0 Het Caramel Albino

Thanks

In my opinion, it would be ordinary for the seller to just factor the paypal fees into his selling price and not mention them at all to the buyer. Anyone that wants to add the fees in after the deal was made is being greedy in my opinion. If you are signed up with paypal where they have access to one of your bank accounts that paypal can put money in and take it out you have no recourse in the situation that Wes described. But if you are signed up just to make purchases with a credit and ignore their friendly request to "raise your purchasing limit, add a bank account routing number " your credit card card issuer will tell paypal to go jump in the lake in the event of a problem and paypal has no recourse. Even you people that need to allow bank access as a seller of merchandise should have a second paypal account (perhaps in a spouses name) without bank access just to make purchases with. You would then not lose your right under the law to place any purchase in dispute.You would retain control of the money and would not be under paypal's thumb.
    Do not resuscitate

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsirkle For This Useful Post:

dr del (07-22-2009),littleindiangirl (07-23-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by derrabe View Post
    As a small time breeder/hobbyist cc machine seems like an unlikely acquisition. And personal checks and money orders I don't understand as long as you allow time for the checks to clear before releasing the snake.
    I agree that a CC machine is not a good alternative. I use Paypal because I don't want to setup a merchant account, haven't found a better alternative, and don't want to accept checks or money orders unless I have to. As far as checks/money orders, the scenario that comes into play is this. A customer agrees to buy an animal. They tell me they can only pay by check/money order. I put the animal on hold (and turn down any further sales requests). Now the waiting game starts. It's 4 days and I haven't received the mail. I email them. 2 days later they get back to me and say something happened and it didn't get mailed until the previous day. Now the waiting starts again. It could be 2 weeks before I either get the mail or the email saying they don't want to do the sale. I could have had the animal sold and shipped in that time. Just my 2 cents on why I don't like to do snail mail payments.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    I agree that a CC machine is not a good alternative. I use Paypal because I don't want to setup a merchant account, haven't found a better alternative, and don't want to accept checks or money orders unless I have to. As far as checks/money orders, the scenario that comes into play is this. A customer agrees to buy an animal. They tell me they can only pay by check/money order. I put the animal on hold (and turn down any further sales requests). Now the waiting game starts. It's 4 days and I haven't received the mail. I email them. 2 days later they get back to me and say something happened and it didn't get mailed until the previous day. Now the waiting starts again. It could be 2 weeks before I either get the mail or the email saying they don't want to do the sale. I could have had the animal sold and shipped in that time. Just my 2 cents on why I don't like to do snail mail payments.
    When I do this I give them 2 days to get me a check but not until then do I officially pull something off the market. I tell prospective buyers that I have that animal on hold pending deposit, or whatever, for 2 days and will happily put them on "The List" if they would like.

I've lost a couple of sales but made a few too.

There are no second chances though. It's a business not an excuse factory.

Quote Originally Posted by dsirkle View Post
    In my opinion, it would be ordinary for the seller to just factor the paypal fees into his selling price and not mention them at all to the buyer. Anyone that wants to add the fees in after the deal was made is being greedy in my opinion. If you are signed up with paypal where they have access to one of your bank accounts that paypal can put money in and take it out you have no recourse in the situation that Wes described. But if you are signed up just to make purchases with a credit and ignore their friendly request to "raise your purchasing limit, add a bank account routing number " your credit card card issuer will tell paypal to go jump in the lake in the event of a problem and paypal has no recourse. Even you people that need to allow bank access as a seller of merchandise should have a second paypal account (perhaps in a spouses name) without bank access just to make purchases with. You would then not lose your right under the law to place any purchase in dispute.You would retain control of the money and would not be under paypal's thumb.
    This I did not know. Thanks Dale.

Now, what if you don't have a.....living, yes, that'll do, living, spouse?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

So, if he said "OK - you owe a total of 660", you send out the $660, and then he comes back and says "oh you owe me $20 more for fees"... That is bait and switch, is it not?

3 things I see wrong with this...

1. Bait & Switch
    2. It is against the Paypal terms (as previously pointed out)
    3. There was no prior discussion about the fees before the transaction took place? You don't owe him that $20. It was up to him to make that perfectly clear before money switched accounts. He didn't. He can eat the fees. Lesson learnt.

Thanks

If I had an existing account as Wes Snipes, I might try to open a 2nd account as Wesley B Snipes using perhaps the mailing address of a stable friend or relative and I would create a new email account for the new one.
    Do not resuscitate

Royal Morphz Maker Royal Morphz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    I'm confused at what your saying. So it's against the TOS for them to ask you to pay the fees?

I never even realized there was fees. I suppose they were just absorbed by my sellers through the prices though.
    Yes it is against Paypals TOS to ask for the 3% fee along with the purchase price. I have always absorbed it into the price it works out in the end.
    Tim Johnson

Royal Morphz Maker Royal Morphz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    1 payment of 2000 or 4 payments of 500 bucks each at Paypals 3% fee means you lose 60 bucks...I dont understand. You pay the same in fees either way...why would you charge extra on a payment plan? Thats kind of jacked up dude.
    No Brother you missunderstood I have added the fees to cover the buyer when I had to make payments on a animal. We have never nor will we ever charge a Paypal fee as I said its against Paypals TOS and can have your account closed.
    Tim Johnson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    So, if he said "OK - you owe a total of 660", you send out the $660, and then he comes back and says "oh you owe me $20 more for fees"... That is bait and switch, is it not?

3 things I see wrong with this...

1. Bait & Switch
    2. It is against the Paypal terms (as previously pointed out)
    3. There was no prior discussion about the fees before the transaction took place? You don't owe him that $20. It was up to him to make that perfectly clear before money switched accounts. He didn't. He can eat the fees. Lesson learnt.
    Damn right, hence why I said you can keep your animals give me my money and now I have animals on the way.
    ]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Morphz View Post
    No Brother you missunderstood I have added the fees to cover the buyer when I had to make payments on a animal. We have never nor will we ever charge a Paypal fee as I said its against Paypals TOS and can have your account closed.

That makes more sense, you kinda threw me for a loop with that.
    ]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast