Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,672

2 members and 2,670 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

I am going to have to disagree

With the people who state that feeding your snake inside his enclosure, or in a separate enclosure makes no difference...

Last night i decided to feed my BP in his tank for the first time...I've NEVER seen him act so aggressive...the minute (actually the second) I plopped the mouse in there, he started cruising, he knew right away...It was amazing to see his hunting behavior which I've never seen...

But...yes there is a but, actually there are two butts...and I cannot lie...

He missed! For the first time, he missed! Granted it was an awkward situation(Kinda like the last scene in Kill Bill 2 where Uma Thurman has her final meeting with David Carradine [may he rest in peace]...no the mouse wasn't having a philosophical moment about the identity of superman...) , he wasn't positioned right, and I guess he was kinda trigger happy...Nonetheless, he MISSED! Do you guys know what that does to a snakes pride?! They don't wanna talk to you, they start hanging with the wrong crowd...they start experimenting with god knows whats on the streets...They go bungee jumping and not invite you because they think your just not "cool" to do it with them, when they don't realize bungee jumping was a fear of mine that I planned on conquering by the age of 25...and now I am 29...Okay maybe not all that, but it did hurt my pride a little bit...He NEVER misses!

Additionally i was cleaning his tank today, and he came out of his hide very aggressively looking to see if i had his food...he NEVER comes out of his hide when I'm cleaning...I must admit, i was a bit intimidated...

I have to say that I'm no snake's pushover

so i will continue feeding him in his feeding bin...to see if his Osbourne behavior will subside...

Thank you,
    Last edited by JLC; 07-20-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: language

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: I am going to have to disagree

There will always be at least one time when the snake misses. They are really not all that smart and a miss can happen quite often.

The only reason my snakes would be "looking at me aggressively" is if I didn't feed them enough. Even then, it isn't enough to provoke a bite. They at least know a mouse when they see one, and a giant hand is not a mouse.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Every snake is different so theres really no golden rule to feeding them in seperate enclosures, I feed mine in there enclosures and have never had any cage aggresion what so ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

It is within the realm of possibility that the length of daylight, more lighted hours in a given day than dark ones, the raise in temperature that even a airconditioned house will have in the summer, the age and growth rate of your snake (I am ASS uming that it is not a full grown adult but still getting there size wise), and the inherent interest in food for snakes of that size in these conditions, may have had more to do with his aggressive feeding than merely being in his cage while fed.

Or not.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Montie Python View Post
    With the people who state that feeding your snake inside his enclosure, or in a separate enclosure makes no difference...

Last night i decided to feed my BP in his tank for the first time...I've NEVER seen him act so aggressive...the minute (actually the second) I plopped the mouse in there, he started cruising, he knew right away...It was amazing to see his hunting behavior which I've never seen...

But...yes there is a but, actually there are two butts...and I cannot lie...

He missed! For the first time, he missed! Granted it was an awkward situation(Kinda like the last scene in Kill Bill 2 where Uma Thurman has her final meeting with David Carradine [may he rest in peace]...no the mouse wasn't having a philosophical moment about the identity of superman...) , he wasn't positioned right, and I guess he was kinda trigger happy...Nonetheless, he MISSED! Do you guys know what that does to a snakes pride?! They don't wanna talk to you, they start hanging with the wrong crowd...they start experimenting with god knows whats on the streets...They go bungee jumping and not invite you because they think your just not "cool" to do it with them, when they don't realize bungee jumping was a fear of mine that I planned on conquering by the age of 25...and now I am 29...Okay maybe not all that, but it did hurt my pride a little bit...He NEVER misses!

Additionally i was cleaning his tank today, and he came out of his hide very aggressively looking to see if i had his food...he NEVER comes out of his hide when I'm cleaning...I must admit, i was a bit intimidated...

I have to say that I'm no snake's pushover

so i will continue feeding him in his feeding bin...to see if his Osbourne behavior will subside...

Thank you,
    You are asserting that after one feeding in his enclosure he became aggressive?

Have you gotten him an application to the snake version of MENSA? You should.
    Last edited by dr del; 07-20-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: matching quote to edited post

Thanks

I know I am excited when the food comes..Sometimes I even bite my hand accidentally while shoveling food in. Don't hate on the snakes for being hungry...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    I know I am excited when the food comes..Sometimes I even bite my hand accidentally while shoveling food in. Don't hate on the snakes for being hungry...

Thanks

Yeah, every snake is different I believe.

I feed my boy right in his home and I've never experianced even the slightest bit of aggression from him. And whenever I have my hands in there and its not a feeding day he completely ignores me.
    0.1 het Albino Super Dwarf/Jampea Reticulated Python
    0.1 Super Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.4 Normal Ball Python
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Fire Ball Python
    0.1 Spider Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Ivory Spider Ball Python

Facebook - Add me =D

Thanks

You are asserting that after one feeding in his enclosure he became aggressive?
    Classical conditioning can definitely occur after only one pairing of the US (unconditioned stimulus-feeding response to prey item) and the CS (conditioned stimulus-opening the tank to handle/clean/etc.). But if that's true for snakes who knows...

Dennis

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hapa_Haole View Post
    Classical conditioning can definitely occur after only one pairing of the US (unconditioned stimulus-feeding response to prey item) and the CS (conditioned stimulus-opening the tank to handle/clean/etc.). But if that's true for snakes who knows...

Dennis
    This makes about as much sense to me as this: if you blow up a balloon it will expand but if you don't it could but may not....
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast