Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

2 members and 3,292 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Burm hunt video

Thanks

Re: Burm hunt video

From the other thread but it fits here as well.

"Permitted individuals are free to take the specimens or euthanize them on site at their discretion."

Honestly I think that killing of a species we deem as invasive is ignorant always have and this is not just the case of snakes. I believe that an animal that can survive in an environment should be allowed to they further develop North America's weak ecosystem and help natural selection in the areas they establish themselves in. I know they were introduced improperly however this is the case with many non native plants and animals that end up becoming a positive change in the ecosystem. Humans have always wanted to control the earth and the ecosystem and we will eventually be the most negative impact on it ironically.

/end rant.
    -Cliff-
    SulfurPythons.com -COMING SOON-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by envy_ld50 View Post

"Permitted individuals are free to take the specimens or euthanize them on site at their discretion."

Honestly I think that killing of a species we deem as invasive is ignorant always have and this is not just the case of snakes. I believe that an animal that can survive in an environment should be allowed to they further develop North America's weak ecosystem and help natural selection in the areas they establish themselves in. I know they were introduced improperly however this is the case with many non native plants and animals that end up becoming a positive change in the ecosystem. Humans have always wanted to control the earth and the ecosystem and we will eventually be the most negative impact on it ironically.

/end rant.
    thats the most ignorant thing i have herd about invasives!!

nearly all invasives have been human introduced and many are causing shifts in the ecosystems that will cause native animal populations to crash meaning no more native animals. with a large preadator like burms, who knows what the extent of the damage will be. weither killed or kept it is a postive step and i wish there would be more programs like this for other invasives.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucas339 For This Useful Post:

hoax (07-22-2009),Jyson (07-22-2009),The Vampire Osiris (07-25-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post

nearly all invasives have been human introduced and many are causing shifts in the ecosystems that will cause native animal populations to crash meaning no more native animals. with a large preadator like burms, who knows what the extent of the damage will be. weither killed or kept it is a postive step and i wish there would be more programs like this for other invasives.
    You need to do more research on this. There are many invasive species that have been introduced into our country that have not had a horrible impact as predicted. Here's a kicker for you without one invasive species you wouldn't be able to keep your snakes! That of course is the rat I am referring to. The truth is the Burmese fits in the everglades perfectly. They will be a food source just as much as they prey on native vermin. The Burmese is not going to kill ever animal in the ecosystem, the everglades are pretty mush stuck with the Burmese at this point regardless I do not see a possible way for us to remove them at this point in time without harming the ecosystem ourselves. Also Lucas339 what is your view for calling my post ignorant? The only negatives to come from this situation are the bad press us snake owners recieve from those who do not like snakes PERIOD.
    -Cliff-

Thanks

trust me. i am well versed on the impacts of invasives in florida...i suggest searching out some scientific papers on them and not just listening to the media and forming your own non-fact driven opinion.

BTW, i could still have my snakes....i don't feed any of my animals wild caught prey so i have no idea were you came up with that.

Thanks

In response to envy_ld50: Guam has no birds, and the forests are silent!!! See link:

http://www.13point7billion.org/2009/...s-on-boat.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkieJ For This Useful Post:

hoax (07-22-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Who the heck is feeding their snakes wild caught rats?

Do you have any examples of invasive species that did something good for the ecology? Sure, some were introduced deliberately by a moronic government.. look at kudzu.

The best I can think of wouldbe pheasant which I can't think do much to HURT the environment, although they may displace native grouse, which is bad, not good. Hmm.. sorry, can't come up with any.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (07-25-2009)

Thanks

I know there are some non native species that find a niche that isn't already taken and because of that don't hurt the enviroment but I can't think of any that actually help the enviroment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster320 View Post
    I'd imagen a few "special" burms will be kept. Who knows, Florida line burms may be the next big thing and I bet a couple there could be a few new mutations that could come out of those lines.
    How cool would it be if something positive came of this, well positive to herpers

Quote Originally Posted by envy_ld50 View Post

/end rant.
    I would disagree with your statement, I do not know of any species that were ever beneficial to the ecosystem.

Those rats you say aren't an issue, ask any one who has them in their area. They destroy grain supplies, they spread disease, they do feed some snakes but they are aggressive little boogers.

If you have facts to support what you have stated here please share them with us.

Mike
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoax For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (07-25-2009),The Vampire Osiris (07-25-2009)

Thanks

If you truly believe what you preach, then you'll never reproduce and go jump off a cliff right now
    these habitats are controlled by fish and wildlife game as they see fit, introducing and reintroducing species of animals and plants as they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post

Last edited by waltah!; 07-22-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks

I apologize if my comments are not understood but it doesn't not warrant anyone to tell me that I should not reproduce or jump off a cliff. Non native species can do harm however the Burmese in the everglades is not as bad as it is being made out to be. I am all for removing them if it is possible I wish we could do it easily without harming the ecosystem.
    -Cliff-

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast