Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

2 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera?

Thanks

Re: Camera?

I 2nd the Nikon D40. Good entry level DSLR. It would be a good starter camera to help you develop your skills and photography understanding. And any lenses you buy for it you can keep when you want to upgrade your body if you decide you're really into it.

There's really no point in getting a super nice top of the line if you're just starting out. Its what I got, and I'm 100% satisfied with it. Does everything I need plus a lot more.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

The thing to remember is that there are talks that Nikon is discontuneing the D40 and replacing it with the D60 as their entry level DSLR. This is something to remember when think about buying. If they do get rid of it service and replacement items may be hard to come by.

I know Canon makes a nice entry level DSLR also
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I use this one: http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US and really like it. I only use it for close ups of my snakes though, so don't know how well it takes far away shots.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

I have heard some pretty bad things about the D40, unresponsive, RAW+JPEG setting only records Basic quality JPEG's, fixed exposure steps (1/3 EV), no exposure or white balance bracketing, its being discontinued....just naming off a few.

AND it uses SD cards.

Well the Film EOS is for sure Different than the Digital EOS series.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    I have heard some pretty bad things about the D40, unresponsive, RAW+JPEG setting only records Basic quality JPEG's, fixed exposure steps (1/3 EV), no exposure or white balance bracketing, its being discontinued....just naming off a few.

AND it uses SD cards.

Well the Film EOS is for sure Different than the Digital EOS series.
    Really? I haven't had any issues with mine as far as performance goes. And like I said it is entry level, so all the bells and whistles aren't there.

I still stand by my statement that for the $$, its a good way to go to see if photography is for you.

And I didn't know they were discontinuing it. If they are, then I'd wait to see what replaces it, or if you can end up with a D60 cheaper. Or, if they discontinue it you could probably pick one up real cheap.

Thanks

In my opinion camera brand comparisons are the same as you would get with Chevy vs. Ford or Mac vs. PC

I shoot Canon because I always have and when I need to upgrade my body I have all the lenses, flash heads, batteries, cables etc that I need. The dials are similar from model to model and I don't have to learn to use new equipment as much as I would if I changed brands.

My sister shoots Nikon and takes nice pictures with it. I have used her camera and had no problems with it's functionality or quality.

I'd think as a new photographer you'll be pretty happy with either brand. They are both leaders in the industry and put out nice quality equipment.

I do know that the Nikon entry level SLR has some restrictions on what lenses from their lineup are compatible so that would be something to think about.

No matter your choice you want to keep in mind that the lenses and flash head you end up buying will be in your bag much longer than whatever camera body you end up with. When you buy your first SLR do as much research as you can stand and make your decision based on the lens line up and other accessories as much as the camera itself.

Another unwritten rule is that as soon as you buy your camera the next model will be announced that day at the same price you paid for your old one

Do you have access to any type of digital camera now? If so borrow that one and play around with it until you are being limited by the technology and then look for an upgrade that solves your frustrations. You'll have longer to save money and buy all the cool extras you are going to want too.

I say digital because the film is "free" until you print. You can learn a lot about photography with anything that will record an image. Sometimes working around the limitations makes you better off for it in the end.

Thanks

right now i have this camera
    http://colinjong.com/wp-content/uplo...ympus-c740.jpg
    its the only camera at my house.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steves-digicams.com
    Advanced settings include controls for aperture priority, shutter priority, and full manual operation and are ideal for experienced photographers who want to take control..
    I say use that camera until you have enough money saved to buy what you want. Being able to go manual is all you need in a camera. As long as you don't print bigger than 5x7 you'll be able to make really nice prints with that one. You'd be stretching it I think at 8x10 print size but it would probably be fine.

Thanks

this is the first picture that i took with the camera, it doesnt have any setting or anything.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

Your camera picked these settings

Exposure Time: 1/400 sec
    F-Number: f/4.0

Next time

Put your camera in AV mode. May be called Aperture Value. Set it to the lowest number. f2.8 in your case.

Zoom all the way in and half press the shutter while looking at your outstretched hand in the same lighting your subject, the flower in this case, is in. Remember what those settings are. Try to only see your hand in the viewfinder. Any flat colored object will work for this, I just always use my hand when I need a quick light reading on the run.

Put your camera in manual mode

Set your exposure time (TV) and F-Number (AV) to whatever the reading was in automatic mode.

Now, keeping your lens zoomed back up until the picture includes all that you do want and cuts out everything you don't. Then back up just a bit more and take the picture with the focus being on your subject.

That's a pretty basic set up for a shot like that. It will blur the background out and expose the flower perfectly. Depending on the time of day the background will be super bright from the sun, the same as the flower or much darker.

Different times of day and times of year, even weather will introduce different colors and types of shadows.

In the fall I can get gold lit shots that I just can't get any other time of year.

good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast