Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

0 members and 3,207 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Injured raccoon, animal control closed, cops won't help

An hour ago I saw a raccoon just outside the back door of my condo. It has a gash in it's head, and it's sitting with it's head on the ground and is shaking. So I called animal control and got a message that it was after hours. So I called the local police and told them that there is an injured and possibly sick raccoon outside that hasn't moved for a while, and that there are a ton of kids that play back there, as well as a ton of people who walk dogs back there. The people in my condo have to use that back door to walk their dogs. I threw some fruit and bread near it, so it will hopefully stay put for a few more minutes while the police get someone to come out and get it, then I put a note on the door to let people know to not use that door or walk their dogs, and that animal control had been notified.

I went back there a few minutes ago, and it's still in the same spot, shaking and not eating any of the stuff I threw out there. I called the police back and asked what was going on, and she told me that someone already came out and determined that the gash on it's head was an old wound, and that it wasn't in any kind of distress. So no one will be back out to do anything about it. I repeated that it's in bad shape, could be sick, and that there are a lot of young kids that play out there. She just sounded annoyed and repeated that it isn't in distress and nothing is going to be done. I don't know what else I can do, and the only thing that comes to mind is to put it down, with a shot to the head before a dog or a child get's bit by an obviously unhealthy raccoon, but I only have a pellet rifle, so that's out of the question. Do I have any other options?
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Re: Injured raccoon, animal control closed, cops won't help

Oh my goodness! The only other thing I could think of to do would be to put on some thick gloves and clothing, and nudge him gently into a cat carrier or a box with small air holes in it. If you're unable to do that, putting it down would be best. End his pain and suffering. I'm so sorry.

Thanks

drop it ina cooler with CO2 if no one is going to nurse it back to health

depending on the gash if the gash isnt that sever use thick gloves and try to put neosporin on the wound for now see what happens

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Injured raccoon, animal control closed, cops won't help

you dont want to tangle with a sick raccoon and if its just sitting out in the day light its not going to make it. this sounds completely inhumane, but its what is right and is the safest in that environment. Dont shoot him, use a shovel and end his life quickly.
    Support my efforts to raise awareness and donations to the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my Grandfather Eugene......
    www.awalktoendalzheimers.com

"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session." - Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to neilgolli For This Useful Post:

hoax (07-17-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abuja View Post
    Oh my goodness! The only other thing I could think of to do would be to put on some thick gloves and clothing, and nudge him gently into a cat carrier or a box with small air holes in it. If you're unable to do that, putting it down would be best. End his pain and suffering. I'm so sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by th3jok3r View Post
    drop it ina cooler with CO2 if no one is going to nurse it back to health

depending on the gash if the gash isnt that sever use thick gloves and try to put neosporin on the wound for now see what happens

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not touching a huge, possibly rabid raccoon.

Even if they were convince that there was nothing wrong with it, which there obviously is, why wouldn't they relocate it or something, so it doesn't attack someone's dog, or bite a kid?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilgolli View Post
    you dont want to tangle with a sick raccoon and if its just sitting out in the day light its not going to make it. this sounds completely inhumane, but its what is right and is the safest in that environment. Dont shoot him, use a shovel and end his life quickly.
    That sounds more humane than letting it sit there like that, but since they came out and certified it as being fine, couldn't I get in some kind of trouble for animal abuse or cruelty or something?

Edit: I don't own a shovel or a bat or anything that would be capable of killing it with one blow, and I don't want to piss it off, or have to bash the thing repeatedly.

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PythonWallace For This Useful Post:

I<3Dreamsicles (08-10-2009)

Thanks

Maybe there is a vet clinic nearby that could help. I would try it. If nothing else they should have a tranq gun. Maybe they could get it to a zoo or something that deals with wildlife.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilgolli View Post
    THIS!
    I thought the same thing.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lillyorchid For This Useful Post:

neilgolli (07-17-2009)

Thanks

good luck
    0.1 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

Call (847)602-0628 for animal emergencies.

Here is the number for an animal rescue in your area try them i will try to dig up some more

Mike
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast