Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,031

1 members and 3,030 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Pink Belly Still??

So I am very new to this. I got my BP 2 weeks ago. He is just 3 months old. We left him for one week and he happened to be starting to shed at the same time. So I read all these posts and waited to feed him until he shed. Now he did not shed all in one piece. It took a few tries but he eventually got it off. So on Monday I fed him and he ate, (it was scary for someone who has never done it) 2 f/t hoppers. That was Monday and now it is Thursday and he was moving around today and I noticed his belly is still pink. Why is this? I thought it was only supposed to be pink before/during a shed. Should I be concerned or watching for yet another shed in such a short time??

Thanks

Re: Pink Belly Still??

He may have not shed the skin on his stomach. Soak him in warm water and see if it changes. Good Luck Ethans Mom.

Thanks

Ok, there are two things I think are possibly happening.

1) Your snake is shedding once again
    OR
    2) Your snake did not shed off the skin on the underside

Check to see if the snake is dull in color, and if the eyes seem to be slightly turning a cloudy or milky blue color. This tells you that your snake is shedding once again. This can happen, even after your snake JUST shedded it's skin. This has happened to me before: My King snake shedded and was fed the normal 1 large f/t mouse, then the next week I fed him the same thing and the very next day his eyes were becoming a cloudy/milky blue color, and there he goes into shed again. My BP recently shedded about 3 or 4 weeks ago because I fed her 2 large f/t mice, which she normally eats just one. I think feeding her two caused her to go in shed, but still don't really know how.

If your snake does seem to have not shedded the underside, soak the snake in warm water for 15-20 minutes and put the snake back inside the enclosure (raise humidity, 60%-70% so the snake can shed it off better) and see if the snake sheds the skin.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Could also be a mild belly burn, what are your temps, heat sources, heat control, and thermometers like?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jblaze View Post
    He may have not shed the skin on his stomach. Soak him in warm water and see if it changes. Good Luck Ethans Mom.
    Hmm, I am still a bit nervous to be putting him in water without him freaking out. He is still a nervous snake and gets a little jumpy when I handle him.

The temps are not too hot. I bought one of those Zilla kits and I use the lamps when needed, to vary the temps on either side of the cage and also bought a UTH that covers about 1/3 more or less of the bottom that I monitor with a probe. He has enough substrate and can't get right down to the glass.

So if i just wait then should he shed that skin soon or should I be worried? I bought a rougher "log" so he would have something to rub against on Tuesday so will he know to try use it? I think I am just worried about his reaction if I try soaking him in water like the advice post suggested. Hmm??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethansmom View Post
    Hmm, I am still a bit nervous to be putting him in water without him freaking out. He is still a nervous snake and gets a little jumpy when I handle him.

The temps are not too hot. I bought one of those Zilla kits and I use the lamps when needed, to vary the temps on either side of the cage and also bought a UTH that covers about 1/3 more or less of the bottom that I monitor with a probe. He has enough substrate and can't get right down to the glass.

So if i just wait then should he shed that skin soon or should I be worried? I bought a rougher "log" so he would have something to rub against on Tuesday so will he know to try use it? I think I am just worried about his reaction if I try soaking him in water like the advice post suggested. Hmm??
    I don't like recommending soaking to anyone because there are risks. Instead, try a damp pillowcase. Leave the snake in there for 10-15 minutes and see if that helps him at all.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethansmom View Post

They can easily burrow under substrate without you even knowing it.
    What are you using to control the UTH? If nothing, that's extremely dangerous because it can get to temperatures over 100 degrees. The temps should be 95F UNDER the substrate.
    You need to get a thermostat or a temporary light dimmer to control the UTH's heat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    They can easily burrow under substrate without you even knowing it.
    What are you using to control the UTH? If nothing, that's extremely dangerous because it can get to temperatures over 100 degrees. The temps should be 95F UNDER the substrate.
    You need to get a thermostat or a temporary light dimmer to control the UTH's heat.
    I have a terrarium carpet down as well as the bark substrate. I have the probe under it and it reads 91F right now. I have been watching it all the time and it has never got over 93F but I am going to get a thermostat or dimmer. I live in a really little town so of course the hardware stores here don't have any and I forgot last time I went to the city.