Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

0 members and 3,213 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Male on the cool side of the enclosure?

So today, and yesterday, my male has been chillin on the cool side of the enclosure. I fed him two f/t fuzzy mice today, and yet he still is on the cool side. The temps are perfect, and I don't see why he could be hanging on that side, unless he is ready to start breeding. I heard that males will stay on the cooler end of the enclosure when they are ready to breed. So, do you think he wants to breed, or he just likes the cooler end of the enclosure? He never really goes in the hide anymore, he either sits on top of it and basks underneath the heat lamp, or he is somewhere else curled up in the cage. I'm not going to breed him this year, but possibly next year.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Re: Male on the cool side of the enclosure?

Considering that you got your male BP this year and he doesn't look that big from the pics I saw of him, he just wants to be on the cool side. The reason for putting the heat on one side is that the snake chooses if he wants heat or he wants to cool off. Sometimes if it is too hot on the hot tend, he may spend a lot of his time on the cool end because it is too hot, and that could be one of the reasons why he is on the cold side and vice versa. But more then likely he went to the warm side for a little bit and then went back to his comfy place on the cold side. Maybe you can move the basking lamp to the other side, to the cool side which switches to the warm side. But remember to ALWAYS put the water dish on the cool side.Bacteria grows faster in heated water and if your water dish is under the heat lamp it will be infested with bacteria.
    Guitars, Reptiles, & Fishing!
    1.3.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0.0 Nu Ana x Moro Leachianus Gecko
    1.0.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    & Lots of terrified-snake relatives!